Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for college DJ's

Question for college DJ's

What's up DJF! I'm transferring to Arizona State University this August which, as some of you may know, is one of the top party schools in America with 70,000+ students (with a beautiful 3:1 girl to guy ratio). My question is, for those of you who live on campus at a university, what do you do with your gear? I imagine I won't have room to take my entire set up, so I'm just going to take my Traktor S2 controller and two small monitors. When you get gigs at parties in college, what do you use for a sound system? I won't be able to store big speakers anywhere so I'm not sure about what to expect. Also, what do you do about the potential threat of someone stealing your gear when you are away in class? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnozis View Post
    What's up DJF! I'm transferring to Arizona State University this August which, as some of you may know, is one of the top party schools in America with 70,000+ students (with a beautiful 3:1 girl to guy ratio). My question is, for those of you who live on campus at a university, what do you do with your gear? I imagine I won't have room to take my entire set up, so I'm just going to take my Traktor S2 controller and two small monitors. When you get gigs at parties in college, what do you use for a sound system? I won't be able to store big speakers anywhere so I'm not sure about what to expect. Also, what do you do about the potential threat of someone stealing your gear when you are away in class? I appreciate any and all feedback.

ahahahahaha. You gonna get it in brah?

Store your gear in your dorm room. You and your roommate will have to stay somewhere off campus.
    Get rid of your fu*king laptop!

My advice would be to get a cheap pair of powered speakers and use them for gigs, they won'nt take up that much room in your room really when you think about, unless US college/University rooms are a lot smaller than our halls in the UK.

i lock my room door every time i leave the house and all my roommates make fun of me for it but id rather look paranoid then have $2500 worth of gear stolen

rent a storage unit off campus thats what im thinking of doing when i head up to penn state main campus

Personally, I keep mine in the room. I fit one speaker between our desks, one between our dressers, & my controller & cords in a drawer. My lights & poles are stored in the closet.

I can tell you personally, Tempe is a great place to have anything of marginal value stolen, I know people that have equip jacked out their car while in class during the day. If you're going into a dorm, I'd say take as little as possible; even if things aren't stolen, you're one spilled drink away from replacing everything. Only thing you can do is 1)be sure to copy down all serial numbers in case gear is stolen 2)lock your door every time you leave room, and 3)have a trustworthy roommate. As for gigs, I've gotten by using monitors and a midi controller at house parties; however, if you need a bigger system, there are plenty of places in the valley that will rent out a PA system for a reasonable price.

Join a Fraternity... they will let you bring all the loud equipment you want to their house

Best thing you can do is have atleast a pair of powered speakers for gigs... unless your cool with loosing money and having to rent speakers. Most house parties wouldn't pay for a DJ. Only sometimes if it's a huge kegger, and they don't get fined, and they make a profit from the door.

there should be space in your door room (although it may be like in the middle and visible) I wouldn't use anything other than your KS2 for house parties. Even i only use a vestax spin, when I do grimey house parties, even though I have tech12s and CDJs at home.

If ppl know you have speakers, you'll have an advantage over the other 40 or 50 DJs they know who don't have speakers.

Srsly, the DJ scene is so saturated now, with everyone wanting to be a DJ YOU NEED THESE LITTLE THIGNS TO GIVE YOU AN EDGE.