Thread: I can't remember my tracks...

I can't remember my tracks...

Back when I was spinning vinyl, it was easy to remember the songs. I could just flip through the crate and I'd remember the songs by the art on the cover.

But with all these MP3's, I can only recall about 1/3 of the songs in my collection. Looking at the name of the song does nothing for my memory unless it's an absolute floor burner or the name directly relates to the chorus or another vocal part of the track. Something like "Deep in My Soul" is not hard to remember because those words are repeated throughout the track.

But how am I supposed to remember what a song sounds like when all I have is the name "Quantek" or "Frako" and those words mean nothing to the song nor does the song even have lyrics?

I think I'll just have to start using Rekordbox when I get Pioneer decks. I'll arrange sets on a flashdrive in order from beginning to end and just play the next track on the list. I've tried organizing my sets on the flashdrive, but VDJ reorganizes them based on file size and other factors that I can't control. I tried using a tag editor but it doesn't do the trick.

VDJ... has a picture browser. It displays the art as you scroll through the list. Personally i collapse that window.

You could also use obscure tag words. Such as aggressive, tinkly, sparkly, weird, drastic, moody, fluffy, harsh... in addition to the genre tag. Say you're playing a tech house set and you want to add a bit of aggression or just something out right weird but in style. Think of the tracks as different emotions instead of the actual track. It gets easier to create a journey this way. A lot of Dj's get stuck on playing different versions of the same song. To expand that comment, i don't mean remixes, I mean different songs that are technically the same as 1 specific 1 the DJ loves. It's that on repeat instead of evoking different emotions through out the set.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    VDJ... has a picture browser. It displays the art as you scroll through the list. Personally i collapse that window.

You could also use obscure tag words. Such as aggressive, tinkly, sparkly, weird, drastic, moody, fluffy, harsh... in addition to the genre tag. Say you're playing a tech house set and you want to add a bit of aggression or just something out right weird but in style. Think of the tracks as different emotions instead of the actual track. It gets easier to create a journey this way. A lot of Dj's get stuck on playing different versions of the same song. To expand that comment, i don't mean remixes, I mean different songs that are technically the same as 1 specific 1 the DJ loves. It's that on repeat instead of evoking different emotions through out the set.
    That rotating picture browser does help a little bit, but their so small and I can't hold it in my hands.

I tried organizing my songs by energy level and genre. With a tag editor, I was using different symbols and letters to inform me of the songs characteristics and energy. I used a bunch of different types of symbols and stuff to make it fairly specific. Here's a few examples:

@@@D = Deep house with low energy

@@F = Mid energy funky house

@@T = Mid energy tribal

@3DISC = High energy Disco house (Tier 3 energy)

@1 = High energy house (Tier 1 energy)

I did this to about 70 tracks. Thinking that it didn't matter if the songs were in any type of order, I started mixing them together based only on the symbols. It wasn't working. Even though the energy levels were similar, they wouldn't always sound right especially when trying to hide the outgoing track and fade it away. Sometimes the air would just drop like something was missing or I took away too much too fast.

So I started listening to my stuff all over again to try and figure out why some tracks sound so much differently than others even though the energy levels are similar.

I'd pick one track that I really like, and then using sync, I'd quickly mix many different songs to it one at a time, while crossing back and forth with the fader to listen to the differences.

What I found is that every song has a unique way of filling the room with sound. One song might fill only a few parts of the room while leaving other parts kinda empty. Other songs are stuffing the room full of everything it has. It's sorta like the difference between how a tight, dry, punchy bass kick with a short tail fills the room less than a deep, fat, wide bass kick with a long tail.

With this in mind, I decided to build a set on a ramp. I picked a song that I really like and then found about 20 other songs that filled the room similarly. Then, I organized them by intensity and mixed them in order from low to high. Then I picked out a couple minimal type songs for the beginning and some intense bombs for the top. It's was probably the best set I've ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post

DJ Tinkly in the house
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips