Thread: Suggest another light; Vioroll, Quad Gem or Chauvet Derby X?

Suggest another light; Vioroll, Quad Gem or Chauvet Derby X?

I would like to add another DMX light to my 5' T bar. Currently I have a Martin Acrobat, two American DJ scanners, two American DJ color scanners and a Sunray II that I put on the floor. They are controlled by a ADJ DMX controller. I would like to keep the cost under $300. I am considering one of these three lights:

American Dj Supply Vioroll Led Color Changing Barrel Head Moonflower Spinner

American Dj Quad Gem Dmx Led Powered Effect Light

Chauvet Derby X

Which one would you recommend? Any others I should consider? The Chauvet Derby X is the cheapest and the lightest, but may not seem to do much compared to my Acrobat. TIA.

I would get a wash light myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Man View Post
    I would like to add another DMX light to my 5' T bar. Currently I have a Martin Acrobat, two American DJ scanners, two American DJ color scanners and a Sunray II that I put on the floor. They are controlled by a ADJ DMX controller. I would like to keep the cost under $300. I am considering one of these three lights:

American Dj Supply Vioroll Led Color Changing Barrel Head Moonflower Spinner

American Dj Quad Gem Dmx Led Powered Effect Light

Chauvet Derby X

Which one would you recommend? Any others I should consider? The Chauvet Derby X is the cheapest and the lightest, but may not seem to do much compared to my Acrobat. TIA.
    You already have a barrel scanner, so there is not need for the Vioroll.

Quad Gem, I hate dots

And the Derby X just sucks.

If you want a derby type light, get a ADJ Dekker LED, a much better option.

But like Wilson said, get some wash lights if you don't already have any,
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

Definitely wash lights. I'll put in the inevitable Colorstrip/Colorrail/Megapixel plug. You could almost get two Colorstrips for 300$ and that'd really light up a room with color. Just one of any of those fixtures would do a good job of illuminating a smaller dance floor.

Chauvet Colorstrip...where to buy?

I've decided to order a Chauvet Colorstrip. I had one in my cart on amazon for $190. However, it then went up to $200! Where can I get the best price online? TIA.

If your getting a wash, at least get a ColorRail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chauvet-Ligh...ht_3405wt_1140

It's much better then the Colorstrip. Call it an "Upgraded version."

it's brighter, doesn't have [blocks] of LEDs, and has cool patterns you can't get with a ColorStrip.

Make a best offer for $200, and I'm 99% sure they will accept.

Well worth an extra $10.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

Thanks Synaxis. Now if I order the Colorrail it may be too bright and my 12 year old ADJ color changers and scans won't show up much. So now I'm thinking I may need to replace more lights. My lighting tri-pod/T bar is a real good heavy duty one. It is a crank up that cost me around $300 12 years ago (T-mobile name brand?). I see the Cubix is another popular light. If I put the Colorrail on the top of my T-bar, hang a Cubix from one side and my old Martin Acrobat from the other side....will this be a decent light show?

I doubt the 12 year old ADJ color changers and DJ scanners would add much. I'm also considering keeping my old set up and then getting another tri-pod for the colorrail and sitting it 15 feet away from my current lights so it doesn't over power them. Or should I just dump all of the old lighting, including the Acrobat...and get all new LED lights?!? Or is the Acrobat still a cool light that will look good w/ a colorrail and Cubix? Maybe sell the Acrobat and get a Swarm along w/ the Cubix and colorrail? TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Man View Post
    Thanks Synaxis. Now if I order the Colorrail it may be too bright and my 12 year old ADJ color changers and scans won't show up much. So now I'm thinking I may need to replace more lights. My lighting tri-pod/T bar is a real good heavy duty one. It is a crank up that cost me around $300 12 years ago (T-mobile name brand?). I see the Cubix is another popular light. If I put the Colorrail on the top of my T-bar, hang a Cubix from one side and my old Martin Acrobat from the other side....will this be a decent light show?

I doubt the 12 year old ADJ color changers and DJ scanners would add much. I'm also considering keeping my old set up and then getting another tri-pod for the colorrail and sitting it 15 feet away from my current lights so it doesn't over power them. Or should I just dump all of the old lighting, including the Acrobat...and get all new LED lights?!? Or is the Acrobat still a cool light that will look good w/ a colorrail and Cubix? Maybe sell the Acrobat and get a Swarm along w/ the Cubix and colorrail? TIA.

Can you provide us with the exact model names of the ADJ scanners and color changers? I doubt that the Colorrail will be THAT bright, but if it does in fact over power the other effects, you can always dim it, or tint the light.

Whether you want to keep your current lights or go all LED is entirely up to you. But if you do end up going that route, I suggest the ADJ Quad Phase over the Chauvet Swarm: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ighting-effect
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

My two American DJ color scanners say "Model: DJ Scan" The two ADJ color changers say "Model: Color 150 DMX". You can see an old pic of them here: http://www.rossbriggs.com/dj/images/adjlight.jpg I got the Colorrail from ebay coming for $200 shipped. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ross Man; 04-03-2012 at 07:40 AM.