Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: old hand at vinyl, newbie at digital

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    (technics 1200 = 11KG each plus a mixer and flight cases and your up around the 40kg...easily)
    But you're not carrying all three boxes at the same time. And smaller road cases are going to lighter than larger road cases.

NS7 16 Kg > SL1200 11 Kg
    "In the early 1990s, the Bose AM-5 held some 30% of the US speaker market. Not Bose the company. Just the AM-5."
    ~ Audioholics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anomoly View Post
    Buy cheap... buy twice -
    This is the problem. I read on another thread that the cheaper controllers don't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Anomoly View Post
    If you are not going to keep your 1200's and go TCV (like SL1 or SL2 or even traktor) I would say that Numark NS7, V7, NS7II, NS7III, would be your next best option as they have motorized platters, Denon also has controllers with motorized platters however I have not used them.

The problem with any controller or KIT with a great motor in it.... it's going to be heavy. One option to help is a great flight case with wheels.

You will need a laptop if you're doing mobile gigs. The good news is it doesn't have to be an apple... get the best that you can afford with plenty of RAM and hard drive space.

Good luck
    Thanks. Maybe the NS7 with Matt's recommendation of a bag instead of a flight case would be the best option. First I need to sort out a laptop and get lots of my tunes on it, so that gives me a bit of time to consider my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Machito View Post
    Every venue I go to is deckless I'm afraid. My days of having the energy to be carting my 1200s around are over, so I'm looking for something simpler. Most DJs I see use just a laptop - but their mixing is a bit sketchy. Others use a controller as well, which of course offers better mixing possibilities.

I think I should get a lightweight controller and a laptop, so I'm not carrying loads of big and heavy kit around. If I start to get a lot of gigs then I could move to a higher quality controller e.g. the NS7.

Or I could get some decent CD decks and become more familiar with them, and use them with my mixer and Serato or similar, as recommended by LJay (the CD decks I have at present are not all that). CD decks being lighter and smaller than 1200s would be my reason for doing this.
    Fair enough - I still mostly go out to, and DJ, in places (including bars, never mind just clubs) where turntables and vinyl are in use. Completely depends on your scene and location though I suppose!

Maybe the NS7 with Matt's recommendation of a bag instead of a flight case would be the best option.
    I agree.
    Although myself personally, I would be absolutely terrified carrying such an expensive fragile piece of equipment in a soft case.
    "In the early 1990s, the Bose AM-5 held some 30% of the US speaker market. Not Bose the company. Just the AM-5."
    ~ Audioholics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    I agree.
    Although myself personally, I would be absolutely terrified carrying such an expensive fragile piece of equipment in a soft case.
    It does have risks but you can weigh that against the risk of doing your back in with the hard case

Needless to say you shoild be careful where you place it in your vehicle and not leave things on top of it

And

1. Nothing last forever anyways

2. Biggest danger to your equipment is other people IMO
    The only time some damage was done to my ns7 was actually while it was in the hard case . I couldn't be arsed one time to bring it home and thaught it would be ok on the store room in the bar . And the funking monkey of a barman knocked it over . Since then it has a slight different feel on the tension of each wheel .. I could probably solve this by unscrewing the vinyl and putting it back but I have not got round to it
    My Neighbours listen to good music
    weather they like it or not
    www.djmatt.net

The NS7 series (as all-in-one controllers) are heavier than one TT. Since the road case comes with wheels, this shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't for me. I loved that thing.

What made me sell it was the lack of sampler (at the time) and an extra two channels... both of these have been addressed with the NS7 II and DJ app.

I recommended the NS7 based on your lack of desire for CDJs and familiarity with TTs. I maintain that the NS7 series would meet your needs while you get ingrained in the digital dj world. Yes, you can do something similar with a DVS, but it's more complicated and requires maintenance over time.

If you're changing your mind and saying that you're open to other controllers, I'd recommend the DDJ-SX2 or S4. They're both bargains but are based on a CDJ-type feel. Of course, if you decide to keep your TTs, I'd recommend the Z2 mixer as it would give you Traktor Scratch (a DVS) and a great mixer.

Lots to think about.
    Last edited by KLH; 04-10-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.

This is the problem. I read on another thread that the cheaper controllers don't last long.
    Actually it's not as clear cut as that

It's important to do read around and see what people are saying about different controllers

Both Denon and pioneer have released problematic controllers in the past in their initial effort to break into the high end controller market, and those are brands you would not have expected to sell dodgy equipment.

I myself baught a Denon mc6000 when they came out for about 700 euros and within 6 months the play buttons were failing and the unit was suffering from a weird electrical problem causing crashing. I guess they have probably solved these problems now, but equipment failure during a gig is every Djs nightmare, and its hard to forgive and forget.

Hercules controllers on the other hand are in my opinion the king of budget controllers , very reliable and for what lies under the hood so to speak the only thing the bigger NS7 and the likes really give you are the aesthetics
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-10-2015 at 06:39 PM.
    www.djmatt.net

Hercules are a hell of a lot cheaper than the NS7 so that may be my best starting point.

Hercules are a hell of a lot cheaper than the NS7 so that may be my best starting point.
    Plus they've been around forever. So it's easy to find used ones.
    Same goes for the NS7, but a used NS7 is going to run you 250 - 400.
    ~ Audioholics.com

It would be a good starting point IMO, they are very practical, easy to transport, and it can also remain as a backup controller if you do decide to buy another setup at a later stage.

4MX is quite a nice controller from the Hercules range IMO

when i started DJing digitally i used the Hercules MK11 for a while until i raised enough money to move onto the RMX , later the Denon MC6000 and finally the NS7.

the MK11 was a good little device, though it is so small it really looks like a fisherprice toy and the photos dont do much for the DJ ego LOL !!!
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-12-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    www.djmatt.net