Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tech House - the deeper side

Quote Originally Posted by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0 View Post
    lol,do you want more? tech house is a new genre for me,but I have really been doing my homework over the last year.
    Ih been putting in some work myself.....
    If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

Quote Originally Posted by fat8ack View Post
    Ih been putting in some work myself.....
    good man!here's one of my fav track,at the moment,https://youtu.be/oIvC6FM_p_U..if it peaks your interest,i would love to exchange a current playlist with you.

The abyss...

Rödhåd
    Subb-An
    Eric Volta
    Henry Saiz
    Levon Vincent
    Rodriguez JR.
    &me
    Adam Port
    Recondite
    Tale of Us
    Ame
    Dixon
    Matthew Dekay
    The Drifter
    Mano Le Tough
    Deetron of course
    Ghost Culture
    Stimming
    Maxxi Soundsystem
    Huxley
    Citizen
    Aera
    Redshape
    Reaganz
    GoldFFinch
    Culoe De Song
    Mind Against
    Locked Groove
    Agoria
    John Tejada
    Flowers and Sea Creatures
    Traumprinz
    Omar-S
    Kyle Hall
    Barnt
    Jakob Korn
    Cuthead
    Few Nolder
    Ten Walls (Mario Basanova)
    Fur Coat
    Hunter/Game
    Chaim
    Clarion
    Floating Points
    Dark Sky
    Adriatique
    Ripperton
    Affkt
    Los Suruba
    Marc Marzenit
    Him Self Her
    Rampa
    Dauwd
    Robag Wrumh
    DJ Koze
    Portable
    DJ Tennis
    Vaal
    The/Das
    Blond:ish
    Detroit Swindle
    Mr. Raoul K
    Chateau Flight
    Roman Flugel
    Kalabrese
    Lake People
    Vincenzo
    Pan-Pot
    Heiko Laux
    Rio Padice
    Kirill Kirik
    KiNK
    Danny Daze
    Kolsch
    Gardens of God
    PillowTalk
    Oni Ayhun (Olaf Dreijer of The Knife)
    Fever Ray (Karin Dreijer of The Knife)
    Chymera
    Martin Buttrich
    Holtoug
    David August
    Andhim
    Christian Prommer
    Genius of Time
    Axel Boman
    Jay Shepheard
    Leon Vynehall
    Lazlo Dancehall
    The Cheapers
    Dorisburg
    Djuma Soundsystem (major Renaissance)
    Hot Since 82
    Damian Lazarus
    DJ Dodger Stadium
    Wankelmut
    Oskar Offermann
    Clockwork
    And.Id
    Four Tet
    Jon Charnis
    Jay Haze
    Kuniyuki
    Baikal
    Van Hai
    Alex Niggemann
    William Kouam Djoko
    Danton Eeprom
    Space Dimension Controller
    Chez Damier
    Anthony Naples
    Nicolas Jaar
    John Daly
    Elekfantz
    Pantha Du Prince
    Pional
    My Favorite Robot
    Frankey & Sandrino
    Cosmin TRG
    Motor City Drum Ensemble
    D'Julz
    Pachanga Boys
    Kassem Mosse
    Graze
    Jimmy Edgar
    Sandwell District
    Darko Esser
    Nebraska
    Osunlade
    Basic Soul Unit
    Echonomist
    Riccio
    DJ Sprinkles
    Iron Curtis

I can go on and on
    Find it. Keep it. Work it. Share it.
    Less Talking. More Dancing.
    Yeah, I were Burger Daddy in V 1.0

Haha RDRCK that's a pretty solid list of good house and techno in general, definitely goes beyond simply "tech house" which to me is quite a narrow and generic sound. Good stuff though, hopefully it'll encourage some of the tech housers to look a bit more widely

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    Haha RDRCK that's a pretty solid list of good house and techno in general, definitely goes beyond simply "tech house" which to me is quite a narrow and generic sound. Good stuff though, hopefully it'll encourage some of the tech housers to look a bit more widely
    Well, you see the problem with the Tool Room/1605/meh, boring, generic, template based "Tech House", is that it isn't really Tech House, hehe.

I actually classify almost all of the above artists as "Tech House" because they are all quite good at what they do, and they all make tracks that fall on that hazy, tenuous border that lies between House and Techno. I mean, take the term literally and I believe you will find that there is no other acceptable definition.

It's also a list that reflects my personal taste quite a bit, because most of them are pretty heady, quite melodic/trancey/"make-you-weep-shirtless-on-the-dancefloor-with-your-head-tilted-heavenward", music that, specifically, lays your heart chakra wide open, if you're open to that idea. But they don't skimp on the basslines, because that's the root of a good track, and all are quite trippy. This is music for people on drugs, or for people who can get to that (higher) state (of consciousness) without drugs.

Bonus, this is my "All Killer, No Filler" list, meaning that they all consistently release EPs where every track is standout, no remedial, "just gonna leave this shitty 2 bar loop that I swept with a low pass filter and spiced up with a few played out drum fills (koff koff Radio Slave I keed, I keed) here on the B". You really feel like you're getting your money's worth from them. There were a ton of artists that I left off the list because they have dropped very lopsided releases.

Oh, I want to plug Innervisions latest release, the 7th installment of the Secret Weapons series. The Secret Weapons series comes out yearly, and it is basically a collection of the four or five tracks that Ame and Dixon have gotten consistently positive/manic crowd reaction with over the course of touring the preceding year. The heavy rollers, for lack of a better term. I've found it to be consistently amazing, packed every year with tracks that not only "work", but tracks that I actually grow to love and enjoy listening to again, and again and again. It has also brought to my attention a ton of artists that I may have overlooked, just because of the sheer volume of new music to comb through, and older artists that I may have outgrown/forgotten about who are suddenly put back into my "holy shit, this is amazing" category

Can't sing it's praises enough, definitely worth all ya'alls time to at least give a cursory listen

Go ahead and call me out if you find my theory of Tech House is full of holes/shit, I'd like to start a dialog
    Last edited by RDRCK; 04-02-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    Go ahead and call me out if you find my theory of Tech House is full of holes/shit, I'd like to start a dialog
    Not at all, I consistently buy music by several of the artists on that list, in fact you've listed a few all time favourites of mine and I'll generally at least check out sets, releases, etc from the majority of the list, although stuff like Hot Since '82, Tale of Us, some Innervisions etc is a bit too deep-V-neck for me personally

A lot of the music I'm into and certainly most of what I play out could legitimately be described as tech-house as it's, well, somewhere between techno and house. I guess I'm just turned off by the fact that the term has come to refer to quite a specific sound - that Toolroom/Fanciulli/Saved type sound and/or the more bigroom techno Drumcode, (more recent) UMEK, stuff. Which I think we're both in agreement in our opinions of but it would make me reluctant to label many of the things we're into as "tech-house" when the majority of music-heads that I know, certainly IRL at least, definitely associate it with that particular formulaic style.

I guess it's a little bit like the term EDM (not that I ever really used it) or "minimal techno" or even the way I'm often seeing "deep house" used recently - in the last few years it's evolved from a general term describing an aesthetic or approximate genre, to something that refers to a very specific sound.

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    Not at all, I consistently buy music by several of the artists on that list, in fact you've listed a few all time favourites of mine and I'll generally at least check out sets, releases, etc from the majority of the list, although stuff like Hot Since '82, Tale of Us, some Innervisions etc is a bit too deep-V-neck for me personally

A lot of the music I'm into and certainly most of what I play out could legitimately be described as tech-house as it's, well, somewhere between techno and house. I guess I'm just turned off by the fact that the term has come to refer to quite a specific sound - that Toolroom/Fanciulli/Saved type sound and/or the more bigroom techno Drumcode, (more recent) UMEK, stuff. Which I think we're both in agreement in our opinions of but it would make me reluctant to label many of the things we're into as "tech-house" when the majority of music-heads that I know, certainly IRL at least, definitely associate it with that particular formulaic style.

I guess it's a little bit like the term EDM (not that I ever really used it) or "minimal techno" or even the way I'm often seeing "deep house" used recently - in the last few years it's evolved from a general term describing an aesthetic or approximate genre, to something that refers to a very specific sound.
    Oh, the recent Deep House surge, don't even get me started. Early to mid 2000s Minimal techno (which there is absolutely nothing wrong with) rebranded and tied up in a shiny ribbon it's so cyclical
    Last edited by RDRCK; 04-02-2015 at 05:19 PM.

here I am, a newbie to tech house,with that toolroom/1605/drumcode sound,of which,has helped me developed all of my certain preferences, and personal DJing sound,over this last past year...On the strength of your recommendation,I just previewed (on Beatport) that 7th installment of the Secret Weapons series,(outside of the Simon Haydo track),I ready didn't cared for any of it,...I'm reminded me of that old saying,"To Each,his Own".....I will,and do,"Thank You" for that extensive list,and will endeavor to seek out,on that list. the sound(Artist), that caters to my taste.
    Last edited by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0; 04-03-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0 View Post
    ,(outside of the Simon Haydo track).
    Simon has some good tracks, sometimes a bit "tracky" for me but definitely fits my wider, reluctant definition of tech-house as stuff that fits nicely between techno and house.

Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post

Ten Walls (Mario Basanova)
    Just recently started following this guy, about this time last yr.

And thumbs up to most on your list as well.