Page 321 of 340 FirstFirst ... 221271311319320321322323331 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,210 of 3396

Thread: Post pics of your setup

Hi Spy,

Rekordbox is the first software I used. I used it before I played with it as I had it to organize my tunes. Then I learned to use it as effectively a third and fourth deck on my set-up via the DDJ-RX. It cant replace the CDJs (for me, i'm sure it has for thousands of others) but it is simple and the interface is easy.

I see it more as complimentary than as a replacement. I can take the DDJ out to boat parties, house parties etc and it means that, despite having a massive flightcase, I don't need to take the CDJs and DB4 out when I play at parties. I also like the idea that I can store my hot cues and samples etc in Rekordbox and that i'm using the same software for the CDJs and the DJS as well as the DDJ. Thing about it is it takes a little while to learn to use it properly. I have to be honest - I hated it at first. I really struggled to see the benefit vs just dragging and dropping onto the USB as I know my tunes and I don't really need them to be given BPM counts, key etc. It seemed a bit over-complicated for what it was.

But I persevered with it and in fairness it is much easier to play with on the DDJ controller - its nicely laid out and I "get it".

I've used Serato and Traktor on other people's setups and find it is broadly similar. There isn't much of a meaningful difference that I can see. Not tried Interface 2 but I got a good reference from a mate of mine who rates it. Its easy to be ****** in your lounge or sitting chilling about software etc but playing out is a mirror that shows you the truth - there's nowhere to hide. If you don't know your software and are not 100% comfortable with all that you need to do then it will find you out. There's always something if you aren't quite comfortable - maybe the monitors are too low, maybe the crowd wasn't what you were expecting, maybe you need to improvise with some stuff you weren't intending to play and are not familiar with the tunes you need to drop in, maybe you've only just bought some tunes off Juno and haven't had time to put them in the right playlists etc maybe you're really tired/wasted, maybe there are loads of pissed up people all over the place, maybe you cant reach your laptop easily and the lights of the club are shining right on your controller so its hard to know where you are, maybe you have people keep coming up and yelling in your ear and you cant tell them f*** off as they are mates of the promoter and etc etc etc. I hate those sorts of gigs. They seem to come up more often when you are not quite comfortable with things.

I have played in big clubs and I think, all things being equal, I would stick to the CDJs and USB sticks if I had to again. RB is fine in my lounge and for parties and stuff but I don't trust myself to be able to handle anything on them at a big night. I just feel more at home and more comfortable on the CDJs. Does anyone else find this?

To carry on - its an interesting topic actually.

I understand why DJs use Traktor, Rekordbox and Serato etc and I do envy the trust they have in the system. I don't use the synch buttons out of habit more than anything else but I've played with them and my impression is I can beatmatch on a CDJ much more accurately than the system can on the occasions it doesn't get it spot on. Maybe one time in four or five tunes it is clearly out and it is a pain in the arriss to sort out once you've pressed the synch buttons as you have to come out of the Synch mode etc etc.

I play a lot of progressive, tech house, techno etc and being predominantly percussive there isn't much room for error if you're doing long mixes as I enjoy doing. No way would I trust the Synch in a club.

Anyone else find the same?

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCombover View Post
    So the old pics got lost somehow so here they are again -

Nice set up

How do you like the DJS1000? Is it easy to use live?
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Its a fab bit of kit. I think the key is getting a handle on sampling live from your other decks rather than using the loops/samples internally or on your USB.

Once you master that it is very simple and intuitive. Cutting things up and playing with it is a lot of fun. I'm not good enough with it yet to use it live if I was playing out in a club but I'm almost there. Gimme a couple of weeks

I think once the live sampling side of it is clear and you can do it with your eyes closed then you can actually use it as a production tool - its way way more than I was expecting on that score. The possibilities are literally endless. Its like the most fun drum machine you can imagine as well. You could actually produce tunes live as you're playing and mix them into your set. Especially if you have some pre-prepared cool hooks and stabs and drums that aren't the slightly cheesy ones they give you internally. The BPM matching is super accurate.

At first I thought it would just be a tool for sampling and editing the tunes I was playing and play around with them a little, maybe not even to do live but to take offline and then play the edits off a USB stick just mixing/chopping the edit and the master together. I have a really nice mixer with lots of cool filters etc so that appealed to me as I felt like I could really add something on those long proggy techy tunes. I freely acknowledge that I could use the sampler in the mixer but to be honest I liked the idea of having it separately. There's too much going on in the DB4 as it is.

As I've learned to use it I can see myself becoming much more creative in terms of not just live editing but also in live production. I'm not where I want to be in terms of gathering up the really dark little syth hooks and high stabs etc that you can really go to town on but I'm getting there. Certainly it is a piece of kit you need to spend a long time learning on and playing with to really get the benefit.
    Last edited by PerryCombover; 10-10-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Thx for the quick and detailed response.

From the demo videos I've seen of it, it looked to be a bit overwhelming for a live set-up, but as a production tool a real powerful piece of kit. Good to hear you're getting the hang of it in a live environment though.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    I concur.

@PerryCombover
    I hadn't even noticed the Pioneer DJS1000 was already on the market.
    Pioneer's lineup seems to change so fast now.

Seemed like the DJM800 & CDJ800 were around for such a long time in comparison.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

[url=https - link removed - /url]
    Last edited by Manu; 11-05-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: link removed - poetry analysis is not related to DJing

Niiiiiiice

Thanks

I like how everything fits so flush together it looks like one big console.