Thread: Should I switch to a 4 channel controller?

Should I switch to a 4 channel controller?

Hi all,

I've been using the Numark Mixtrack Pro II with Serato DJ for a while now and I've concluded that I prefer to have 2 tracks playing simultaneously at all times. Am I being thick or this not possible whilst using a 2 channel controller? As I replace one track with another, there is a period when just 1 layer is playing. I guess you can use echo effects to prolong the sound of the track being replaced, but I'd prefer to start mixing in a third track. If I'm being a complete f*ckwit, feel free to let me know. Still new to DJ'ing.

So yeah - I was intending to replace my NMPII with a Numark Mixtrack Quad, although I'll spend up to £750 if someone can recommend something better.

I like to use the third channel for samples and the fourth for scratch sounds. YMMV.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

It is possible with that controller but you are using the wrong software. With Virtual DJ you can have up to 6 tracks going at the same time and it can be controlled with a 2 channel controller.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I like to use the third channel for samples and the fourth for scratch sounds. YMMV.

-KLH
    Any suggestions as to the model I should get?

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    It is possible with that controller but you are using the wrong software. With Virtual DJ you can have up to 6 tracks going at the same time and it can be controlled with a 2 channel controller.
    How much does it cost? Not keen on switching from Serato.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan D View Post
    How much does it cost? Not keen on switching from Serato.
    You can download it for free and try it out. If you do like it it can be had on a subscription basis, for that particular controller or an unlimited Pro version that will work with any controller...
    http://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Virtua...ntrollers.html
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

If your just going to be using the 3rd & 4th channels for samples then it's not really worth it as you could get the pads mapped for that. If you want to mix more tracks then go for it.

I would say just buy a 4 channel one, then the channels are there if you need them, I would get one with built in DVS so you can hook a real turntable to them if you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    It's only because features like auto-sync have opened the doors for a bunch of lazy cunts to buy some gear and think they're a DJ a week later that we go round and round in circles with this same topic.