Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vestax pdx customization

Hybrid View

Vestax pdx customization

I wanted to customize my turntables, Vestax PDX, for a custom table build project.

Plan:
    -self ground
    -Paint white to match the table
    -include all text on the turntable so it looks OEM
    -add halos under the platter and start/stop button
    -upgrade tonearm

Taking it apart:
    -Undo the 2 screws holding in the platter.
    -I cut a hole in a cardboard box to be able to flip the turntable upside-down without damaging the tonearm.
    -Unscrew all of the screws at the bottom of the turntable (don't worry about the legs)

When done it'll look like this:

Notice all of the empty space to work with

(Special thanks to st3pupdj on youtube for demonstrating this in a video)
    Last edited by NickyJ; 03-17-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Self-grounding:
    to find the wire responsible for the hum when not grounded, I took a wire, held it onto one of the obvious grounds, and touched it to each of the different wires connecting the turntable to the circuit board:

I plugged the table into a mixer without connecting the grounding cable and listened to the hum. When I touched the wire attached to a grounded pin inside the turntable to each of the different wire leads in the above pic, I found that when I pressed it to one, the hum disappeared.

Below is a pic of the wire lead I found which cuts out the hum:

I will take a wire, attach one end to one of several obvious grounds inside the turntable and solder the other end to this lead and I won't ever have that annoying hum only relieved by using ground wires.

hi do you still have the pics pls? they are not on the forum

Next, in order to paint it, you have to remove all of the components which are attached to the top.

I took a million pics of each part, every screw and wire connection before I took it apart so I knew how to put it all back together when done. Eventually you end up with a piece of plastic ready to sand with 400-600 grit sandpaper, tape off and then spray with a plastic spray paint. I chose glossy white.

The piece with the writing on it comes apart from the rest of the table. I took that part and put it into a scanner and got a perfect life-size image of the part I want to get the text from.

Then I scanned it as black & white:

I popped this into photoshop and hand vectorized it (pixel by painstaking pixel) to get a pure black & white image and sharpened the edges of all writing.

After some research, I landed on this stuff called Inkjet Waterslide Decal paper which I ordered from here. I chose this stuff because it's so thin and can slide around a bit before securing so you can play with it to get it positioned properly.
    Last edited by NickyJ; 03-20-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Here is my final piece printed onto the special glossy decal paper

Then apply a solution to seal the ink into the plastic and cut after dried:

Once applied onto the part:

I ended up painting the part I left silver in the above pic and repeated the decal for the text over that section

Vestax turntables have 2 basic types on their PDX line.

ASTS which is what my turntable had anyway:

And Dynamic Balance Tonearm which is harder to come by and has added skip resistance optimum for scratching:

I happened to find an individual dynamic balance arm on eBay. The problem was it had a curved arm & being a scratch-man, I prefer straight.
    So, I swapped out the curve and popped in my straight which was fairly straightforward
    Last edited by NickyJ; 03-19-2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Vestax pdx customization

More nice work
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Thank you. I think I'm most impressed with that inkjet waterslide decal paper. It makes the whole thing come out really nice and professional.

Its amazing what some paint can do to change a turntable and with that decal paper, it makes it seem OEM & legit.

This weekend I plan on finishing this project. I have to apply 1 more decal then clear coat, then put it all back together & wire in halos & maybe a custom switch.

Looking at these pics, I'm noticing imperfections I haven't been able to see with my own eyes which are sort of bothering me. I might take it apart again, do another layer or two of clear coat, wet sand with 1200, 1500 & 2000, buff and blow another day making it perfect.... but that might have to wait for some time a ways down the road. Feeling a bit fried after today, haha.

I also want to do a halo under the start/stop button which I didn't get to today because the wire connectors I had sucked, but I'll do it someday.

Sorry I forgot to take pics of the wiring which took some trial and error figuring it all out, but I can open it up easy enough to show & tell sometime soon.