Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom table build

Thanks guys.

1st trip to home depot for the two sheets of plywood, a tube of liquid nails and a small piece of MDF ran me $114.
    On my 2nd trip there, I picked up 2 pieces of 1/4" MDF which I had them cut into strips I needed. That cost me $30.
    Total cost of wood supplies = $144

I also dropped about $100 on hardware for connections. I ordered all Neutrik for ports including a power out, headphone jacks (3.5mm & 1/4") and debating having rca ports to attach an ipod/phone for extra audio into a channel- I think I ordered way more stuff than I will actually use however, so this cost could be lower.

I decided to have the deck sit perfectly flush which means that the edge around it is extremely thin. I got some really thin and watery epoxy and soaked it into the edge on the insert cuts to add strength.

As for time, I work, and am a grad student doing an internship so every other week I'm pretty screwed and doing doubles daily. It has taken about a month so far but could have been a lot less if I had more free time.

Also, I got 2 2" elbow pipe joints from Home Depot which cost $12
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-G...08HN/100209807

and the 2" pipe worked out to $4.40/foot which they cut it to size. I used 2 feet since I'm 6'2". So this cost $16 for two.

And 2 flanges to connect the pipe to the platforms are $20 each, link below
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...08HN/100175260

So for speaker stands add in ($12 x 2 = 24) + ($20 x 2 = $40) = $64. Wood used was left over from the plywood needed to build the table plus some scrap 1/2" I had laying around the shop.

My laptop stand requires 2 flanges of a smaller diameter. Each costs roughly $11 so $22 total plus an 8" pipe which is a few dollars.

So lets say $64 + 22 + cost of pipes lets say $20 = $104.

Places I've looked at that sell speaker stands like this tend to charge a LOT more. The ones I liked most because they had the wire channels in the platform for tube fed wires (& thus no wires visible in the final use) are sold by a company called dualsf and they charge $250 for a pair & $125 for a laptop stand for a total of $375, so by building it myself I'm saving about $270.

I also bought a power strip and a plug with exposed wire on one end. I think this ended up costing me about $30 maybe.

Of the $100 I dropped on neutrik parts, I know for sure I am using a 3.5mm audio jack, the powerCon male and female ends for power and some white gaskets. I think this cost me about $20-30 tops.

All of the wiring will be the last stage after its painted, however, before painting I need to determine location of ports to cut holes accordingly.

AT any rate, I suppose my total cost is:
    $144 for wood
    $104 for metal for stands
    $30 for wires
    $30??? for 2 cans of bondo
    $40 tops for port components
    $348 Total

Paint job: $250 to spray and $100 for materials (conversion varnish which is extremely durable but expensive)

Estimated grand total including paint job + parts to build it: $700

Not included: apoxy, screws, various grades of sandpaper & many many hours of planning and executing

A Hoerboard is 1690 euros if you live in Europe + shipping. Shipping is 229 euro if shipped within the same country they build them (Germany) and price goes up from there.

They say it costs 1420 euros for non-european countries and does not include VAT (no idea how much that would be???)

Also, a laptop stand from them costs 167 euro out side of europe + VAT and 199 euro within Europe.

I'm not sure what they charge for very similar speaker stands but it appears as though they do not incorporate internally fed wires.

I figure converting it to USD it would've cost me at least $2000 maybe an additional $2000 for the stands & shipping. I know they arrive in a huge and heavy wooden box that no human can lift on their own & they actually recommend you arrive with a truck to your regional post office center (not your local post office) to pick it up and to bring extra people to help. They also say it takes approximately a month to build plus shipping.
    I built mine in as much time while devoting most of my time to my job, school & internship.

Side view of the platforms with the flanges sunken in

I lathered them up in poxy to add strength and adhesion and to cover up any holes. All poxy will be sanded and smoothed before painting.

Here's a couple pics with the platforms on.
    The laptop stand is just sitting where it will be, but it is going to be mounted internally.

Also, because my turntables have a curved top and I want the top plate to sit flush with the top of my turntable, I had to round out the inside.
    As a result the edge is very thin and brittle. To give it more strength, I lubed up the thin edge with poxy which I'm going to, again, sand perfectly before painting.
    There was a slight gap between the turntable and the top plate, so I added an overlap of poxy to this corner

It looks wet but its just dried solid & strong poxy.
    Last edited by NickyJ; 03-10-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

I realize, it looks sloppy at this point, but it won't when completed.

I am also adding bondo to the bottom of the flanges which will be packed flush with the bottom of the platforms so they'll have a very custom look.

I'll rep you whenever I can after this time. Amazing work man! I have to get to work myself because I've just cleared out half of the attic up so I have the room to get working.

Great work! Can't wait to see the finished result.

Just one question: Are you sure you have enough sanders?
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,