Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VINYL DJ-ING: Is It Still Cool?

^^ you don't need "to abandon it" for touring; that's what 45's are for

I don't really understand the op's question. "Is it cool?".
    I don't DJ because it's cool, I DJ because I love it and everything that is related to it. Digging, giggin, practicing.. So more relevant question is "What platform is the most enjoyable to me?". And only person that can answer to it is yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
    You cannot compare building a digital collection to building a vinyl collection.
    Of course it's not the same logistically - obviously going to shops and ordering/receiving physical packages is pretty different to downloading files - and there's obviously the idea that the amount of copies is limited especially for something rare and sought after hence more emphasis on tracking things down, travelling to go to particular shops and so on.

I guess what I meant is that as a DJ it takes a pretty long time to do your homework, build up a worthy collection of music that'll allow you to play a variety of set times, types of venue etc. and get plenty practice with it; and I think this is a similar process for any medium regardless of the actual logistics of obtaining the music.

I think djing and collecting music on vinyl is a sort of romantic ideal that some of us choose to hold onto

But digital djing is more practical IMO
    Nowadays I save my vinyl sets for very special occasions (mostly home parties) and I use my digital gear for the daily grind

With controllers like the NS7 I don't miss vinyl much to be honest

But I do like to come home to a wall of records

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    ^^ you don't need "to abandon it" for touring; that's what 45's are for
    45s sound terrible but the need to abandon it for touring isn't so much because of weight but because turntables are generally in pretty shit condition around the world save for a few places.

Survey on vinyl purchasing - chance to win $30!

Hey guys,

My name is Sam, I've been DJing on vinyl for a little over a year now. I'm putting out a survey about the way people shop for vinyls. It's less than 10 minutes long, and one of the respondent will get a $30 giftcard for Juno Records. I'd be thrilled if you would be willing to take the survey:
    https://qtrial2015az1.az1.qualtrics....gUrrWsWw4gVspf

I will also make sure to share the results on this forum thread. I think the subject is super interesting but there isn't a lot of data/research available, hence this survey.

Thanks a lot!
    Sam

^ Sam, your post dances on the edge of DJF policies:

* Links in the first post
    * Take a survey in the first post
    * Spamming Juno Records

... but as the subject AND link are relevant to the discussion at hand, I'll let your post stay.

Remember to post survey results in this thread as you promised.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by kyle133 View Post
    If your interested in using vinyl to DJ, I also highly suggest you invest in a DVS system (digital vinyl system). I have a few reasons why:

1- Most tracks released today are not pressed onto vinyl.

2- Having most of your music at your fingertips is very convenient.

3- A DVS gives you the feel without the pain of real records (pops, skips, hissing)

4- the DVS will allow you to use real records and digital files at the same time.

Ignoring the digital movement will leave you behind the times. A DVS merges this gap flawlessly and is the way I enjoy to spin the most. Spinning mostly digitally, and then mixing in that huge banger that you pulled out of your record bag is such a buzz.

Now if your an audiophile DJ that gets a rise out of using a high dollar mixer and analog tracks, ignore my advise.

Im sure someone will disagree with a couple points I made, but for my style of DJing, this fits me best and I'm sure fits other like minded DJ's just as well
    I feel this is a perfect response!! I couldn't disagree with any of it either.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by kir mokum View Post
    45s sound terrible but the need to abandon it for touring isn't so much because of weight but because turntables are generally in pretty shit condition around the world save for a few places.
    45's don't all sound terrible - not talking about bargain-bin vinyl here, but releases on contemporary labels. And when I've been asked to play somewhere, I have a basic tech spec' that's fulfilled by the promoters.

I've heard some people say that a 12" sounds better if it's a 45 because the groove is longer.
    And I've heard some people say that a 12" doesn't sound as good if it's a 45 because the groove is spaced closer together.

Myself personally, I can't tell any difference between a 45 & a 33.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 02-24-2015 at 05:02 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.