Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixdown and Mastering Tips for EDM

hey I just listened to his chinblackwater by octave one the e dancer vocal dub edit and the back of the string sounds is in the same place as the vocal how strange maybe my theory of mixing is wrong oh well I have to try to help everybody even though I'm not a sound engineer

Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    My tip would be: forget mastering until you have flawless mixing. And by then you will probably realize and would want your tracks mastered by a pro studio.
    +1 for sure

Quote Originally Posted by thehadgi View Post
    +1 for sure
    + another 1, feel like I'm always seeing beginners asking about mastering which just seems like barking up the wrong tree to me.

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    + another 1, feel like I'm always seeing beginners asking about mastering which just seems like barking up the wrong tree to me.
    I totally agree with you. I took so long worrying about how to get my track sounding good after it was done I started to hate it. After awhile i decided to just send it away for mastering.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Technician View Post
    I totally agree with you. I took so long worrying about how to get my track sounding good after it was done I started to hate it. After awhile i decided to just send it away for mastering.
    I wish I'd understood the true value of pro-mastering 10+ years ago, I'd probably be doing a lot more producing nowadays. There's so many tunes I made that after not listening to them for a few years, I've had them on recently and heard they really weren't that far away from sounding release worthy, all they needed was a pro master, and possibly a pro mixdown.

I really wish I'd had this mastered: http://www.hulkshare.com/andymunro/andy-munro-that-bitch
    Last edited by andymunro; 04-22-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    I wish I'd understood the true value of pro-mastering 10+ years ago, I'd probably be doing a lot more producing nowadays. There's so many tunes I made that after not listening to them for a few years, I've had them on recently and heard they really weren't that far away from sounding release worthy, all they needed was a pro master, and possibly a pro mixdown.

I really wish I'd had this mastered: http://www.hulkshare.com/andymunro/andy-munro-that-bitch
    You still should, i hear plenty of that style coming out these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Technician View Post
    You still should, i hear plenty of that style coming out these days.
    Thinking back, that was actually made in about 2005. I haven't got the set up I used to have anymore, I used to have a dedicated computer in a studio and work on tracks with other freinds who were better and had more patience with the technical side than me.

I'm definitely someone who needs someone who can manipulate the synths and FX processors more efficiently than myself, my impatience generally led to me hating a decent creation before it was close to completion. But working with someone else, I could get the sounds out of my head much quicker and complete projects.

But it was the mixdowns that always stopped me releasing more because I'd try my tracks in the middle of my DJ sets but then be disappointed with the overall sound. Hopefully I'll get my computer I use for Serato up to decent spec and get back into production again that way overtime.
    Last edited by andymunro; 04-22-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    I must explain mastering compression a multi band compressor splits the sound up into frequency bands each of which has a separate compressor so, as the midrange isn't dipping with the bass and kick drum you can squash them more each. this is why actual record sound louder than demos. in the old days I think they used to put just one compressor over the whole mix.

rubbing the sounds. if you imagine the eq as a curve the closer together the sounds are the more overlap there is that's rubbing the sounds not sure but I think those overlaps actually phase leading to volume dip the same as if you had two sounds in the same place but at less volume. can't really advise on how close to put your sounds or when 2narrow the width of the eqreally it's a matter of taste.

Mi hlad to go back to my first post re mastering compressor can you set zero attack without a tiny clip? I am informed the ratio must be low and thresholds medium er dunno. weird 1 i never use logic mastering compressor I don't have an apple mac must have made a mistake typing I've been around someone else looked at mastering compressor and went nah didn't have time to f*** around.
    Last edited by setback; 04-30-2015 at 01:57 AM.