Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 600 MHZ Incentive Auction in Future & Wireless Mic Systems as Paperweights

Hybrid View

Question 600 MHZ Incentive Auction in Future & Wireless Mic Systems as Paperweights

Greetings Forum:

I am wondering if the Forum members have an opinion about the 600 MHZ Spectrum (608 MHZ - 698 MHZ?) Auction that was postponed multiple times and is now pending for 2016? Did Forum members take a hit with the 700 MHZ take back. I unfortunately heard that the Federal Gov & FCC want even more after the 600 MHZ Incentive Auction is complete. I hope wireless mics will not totally disappear. What do you think? Mic manufacturers cannot afford to pay for licenses to save frequencies.

The Diplomat

We're in the age of bluetooth, don't see wireless mics coming out anytime soon.

Greetings Manu:

You are correct that we are in the age of Bluetooth but Bluetooth & WiFi (both near 2.4 GHz) are the reasons why Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc are using their deep pockets to plot to take all of the unlicensed frequencies below 800 MHz. They do not want the higher GHz or the frequencies above GHz where there is space. They want to expand below 800 MHz. The 400 MHz to 700 MHz is a Gold mine. We need a new sheriff to protect it from the bidding frenzy. Our mics could eventually be like CB radios when we were constantly getting stepped on by BIG RADIOs in Big Trucks. The Big Trucks will now be transmission & relay towers one mile from your gig. We need some ideas to save our investments in mics. Should we go back to using all wired mics? Some sound guys are selling bad frequency mics to Canadians and other foreigners where the frequency is free.

What do you think? Any 3rd quarter ideas for how to change the momentum?

The Diplomat

What the heck they are taking the 600s as well. Seems like I just got done getting scrooged on the 700s.

The government made billions of dollars selling the 700mhz band.
    they plan to make much more from the 600mhz band.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Greetings DJForum:

Oral arguments are on the 2015 horizon for the 600 MHZ Spectrum Auction. Many motions for "Reconsideration" and "Ex Parte" proceedings have been filed. It looks like the big mic companies are not just laying down and rolling over. Shure and Sennheiser are definitely filling motions.

You can (should) grab the list of parties making motions and download the excel file. Go to http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment_search/input then enter “12-268” in the “Proceeding Number” box. This number (12-268) is for the 600 MHZ Incentive Auction. You could alter the selection in advanced options if you only want to see only "Reconsiderations" or other types of filings.

TV stations are volunteering to surrender frequencies [600 MHZ Spectrum: (608 MHZ - 698 MHZ?)] to allow the auction in exchange for a percent of the auction $ and access to some usable frequencies in the 600 MHZ Spectrum.

Shure and Sennheiser and others are trying to battle the deep pocket phone companies. This is like David trying to battle Goliath toe to toe without a slingshot shot from a distance.

I also read that the phone companies want even more after the 600 MHZ Auction (they want the 500 MHZ Spectrum). In the short run, the FCC rule so far is that there will be a 39 month (?I think?) lag after the ink is dried on the contracts before the autioned frequencies are used.

There is a lot of room in the high Ghz and beyond but the cell phone companies do not want to build the additional towers needed for the higher frequencies which do not travel far and maintain signal quality. The lower frequencies below 800 MHZ travel further while maintaining a certain minimum signal quality.

Our only hope is with new technology that is way beyond the existing:
    (1) smaller tuning increments in the most advanced mics
    (2) better filters in the most advance mics
    (3) less intermodulation in the most advance mics

Otherwise, could Shure & Sennheiser pull off a miracle in court?

Public schools have plays multiple times a year & they frequently have at least 10 wireless mics.
    Churches have many wireless mics. Theaters (small and large) have more wireless mics than Churches.

Added all together, Mic Companies, Public Schools, Theaters, Sports Arenas, and Sound People (US) have an uphill battle with these deep pocket cell phone companies, TV stations and the FCC.

The oral arguements should happen by summer. Stay tuned.

The Diplomat
    Last edited by TheDiplomat; 04-16-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Line 6 digital mics all operate around 2.4GHz ... they're very nice kit too!
    "Even self-perception and the sense of time were changed. When the eyes were closed, colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope. What had caused this condition?" -- Albert Hofmann -- Laboratory Notes (1943)

^^^ Even better is Audio Technica's new System 10 Pro. Fully digital and two receivers fit in a half rack space. These systems are linkable and feature rich for less than you would think. Email me for a PDF of pricing.

BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

^^^ As an Audio Technica vendor you would say that. I have no vested interest, but from my experience the rest of the manufacturers are still playing catch-up with Line 6 in this arena.

Just my 2 cents
    "Even self-perception and the sense of time were changed. When the eyes were closed, colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope. What had caused this condition?" -- Albert Hofmann -- Laboratory Notes (1943)