Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Cue Sticks (aka: Stick, Lollipop, Monophone)

Wait, can I modify one of these things?

http://www.swagphone.com/products/swag-phone-red

This is also sitting in my drawer and I think it would look SO cool to use.

You could, but you'd definitely have to change the driver to give you better sound, that swagphone wasn't meant for music.

Another obstacle would be how easy/hard it is to take apart. If its glued together forget about it. You'll probably break it trying to disassemble it.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    You could, but you'd definitely have to change the driver to give you better sound, that swagphone wasn't meant for music.

Another obstacle would be how easy/hard it is to take apart. If its glued together forget about it. You'll probably break it trying to disassemble it.
    Could I replace the driver with one from my old headphones?

And it's not glued together, you can take it apart if you manage to pry open the shell.

I don't have a C-Clamp though, this might be challenging to take apart.
    Last edited by niarta; 01-18-2015 at 06:13 PM.

I always wondered why you opted to use resistors in your wiring of the driver. I've been using a heavily modified telephone handset for years and wired it up without resistors and haven't had any problems. I'm curious what the benefit of using them is.
    You can't wire both channels of the headphone amp together without resistors, this will short out the headphone amp. If you only connect one of the channels to the headphone, you will only get what is going to the left or right channel and miss out what is going to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
    Ah, ok.

Thanks for your help with this project! I'll see if I can find time next weekend to do it.
    No sweat.

I remember seeing this tutorial back in DJF 1.0 when you used to go by Soulsonica / BlackScience. I always wondered why you opted to use resistors in your wiring of the driver. I've been using a heavily modified telephone handset for years and wired it up without resistors and haven't had any problems. I'm curious what the benefit of using them is.

BTW, I should thank you for the inspiration you've given me for my own DIY projects that I've done over the years. You've shown that just because it's DIY, it doesn't have to look DIY.

Hi Mark and thanks for compliment. Resistors are required in order to correct the final impedance that the headphone output on mixer's pre-amp sees since two channels are being fed into one driver. Without resistors the impedance would be lowered to potentially harmful levels which runs risk of damaging headphone pre-amp. It corrects the overall volume output as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    You can't wire both channels of the headphone amp together without resistors, this will short out the headphone amp. If you only connect one of the channels to the headphone, you will only get what is going to the left or right channel and miss out what is going to the other.
    Bingo. Thanks Daniel.

Ok, that makes sense now that you explain it.

Should I still add resistors to mine even if I haven't had any issues then?

Ok, that makes sense now that you explain it.

Should I still add resistors to mine even if I haven't had any issues then?
    I would just for peace of mind alone. Also, just because you may not be experiencing any detectable problems using it with the mixer(s) you have/are using now, that might not be the case should you happen to use it with other mixer(s) in future.

/\/\/\

It's not often I use other mixers, but good point never the less!

Thx!