Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Cue Sticks (aka: Stick, Lollipop, Monophone)

Custom Cue Sticks (aka: Stick, Lollipop, Monophone)

My old CueStick (lollipop, stick, monophone, etc.) was worn out, so I just got done making a couple of new ones. Thought some of you who use this type of conversion might dig the final results.

Cup: Sony MDR-V700
    Driver: 50mm, 5,000mW, 24Ohm
    Grip: 160mm long x 35mm diameter steel with 22.5º bend, MDCC foam
    Switch: Switchcraft 3-position
    Socket: Switchcraft XLR
    Jacks: Neutrik 90º XLR and 90º TRS
    Cable: Canare Star Quad 21AWG
    LED: 5mm SuperBright
    Resistors: 24Ohm x 2

DIY instructions for those who may want to tackle project themselves:

Parts
    Cup: Sony MDR-V700 or whatever make/model you desire. The MDR-V700 is one of the best headphones for this type of modification because it is a uni-directional design.

Grip: .875"-1" diameter steel or aluminum pipe cut to whatever length you desire. If you want a curve you will need to have the pipe properly bent to whatever angle(s) you desire.

Grip Covering: Medium-density closed-cell foam cut approximately .5" longer than whatever total length the pipe is and in whatever color you desire. For a professional cosmetic touch you may wish to have the ends of the foam re-shaped with a nice rounded contour along outside edge.

Micro-switch: Switchcraft 56313L2. NOTE: A switch isn't required, but I added one so I can toggle between left, right, and left+right modes. This is so I can verify both left and right channels independently when setting up at a gig in case the venue's mixer doesn't happen to have a balance control or separate left/right level indicators.

Male XLR Socket: Switchcraft B3M (nickel finish), or B3MB (black finish)

Female XLR Plug: Neutrik NC3FXX (nickel finish), or NC3FXX-B (black finish), or NC3FRX (90º nickel finish), or NC3FRX-B (90º black finish)

Male .25" 3-pole TRS Plug: Neutrik NP3X (nickel finish), or NP3X-B (black finish), or NP3RX (90º nickel finish), or NP3RX-B (90º black finish)

Cable: Canare Star Quad Microphone 21AWG cut to whatever length you desire and in whatever color you desire (black, white, grey, red, blue, orange, green, yellow, purple, or brown)

LED: 5mm SuperBright with mounting bezel in whatever color you desire (white, blue, green, aqua, red, yellow, orange, or violet). NOTE: A LED isn't required, but I added one so I can have a quick visual reference that both left and right channels are being fed into headphone.

Resistors: 24Ohm, .5W (X2). This specification is for the MDR-V700. If you choose another headphone you will need to verify the impedance and wattage of that particular driver and use the appropriate resistors.

Construction
    Carefully disassemble standard headphone (or in the case of the MDR-V700 it will most likely conveniently already be disassembled for you - lol). Carefully cut factory leads as long as possible and detach the earcups from the headband.

If you are going to add the optional LED then mount it to the back opening the cup and drilling .25" hole where you want it on the back of the cup and securing it with the snap-in mounting bezel. Carefully solder the LED's +lead to the driver's +terminal and the -lead to the -terminal. Be sure to insulate both leads from each other and any other conductive areas inside cup.

Extend the two leads about 3" longer than the total length of the pipe grip by carefully soldering extensions. Be sure to apply heat shrink at solder joints and wrap leads in protective casing such as TechFlex.

Depending on make/model of headphone, you will need to fabricate a mounting method for securing the cup's bracket to the pipe. How to do this should become apparent once you have the two pieces in front of you, but with the MDR-V700 I simply used a drill press to bore a hole directly through the center of pipe where it aligns with the cup bracket when inserted and attached it with a flush mounted machine bolt/nut.

Feed leads down through center of pipe so they exit at bottom.

Sum the +left and +right leads by connecting and soldering them together with the two resistors at one end only.

Connect the ground lead to the XLR socket's pin #1.

Connect the +left lead to the XLR socket's pin #2.

Connect the +right lead to the XLR socket's pin #3.

At this point test everything by using multimeter and a test audio source. If all checks good, move on.

Be sure to apply heat shrink at all solder joints and wrap leads in protective casing such as TechFlex.

Slide excess length of leads up into pipe and mount XLR socket to end of pipe by drilling a hole in the center of pipe where it meets the center of socket case and secure with a flush mounted set screw.

Apply a few drops of dishwashing liquid to outside of pipe and cover entire surface by smearing it around. Quickly apply small amount of water to inside of foam grip carefully slide all the way onto pipe until bottom end meets flush along edge of XLR socket's mounting flange. Wipe off excess dish washing liquid and water and let air dry.

Make the connecting cable by soldering and attaching the chosen XLR and TRS plugs to desired length of microphone cable.

Plug in, go to work, and enjoy.

Last edited by [O/][iii][O/]; 01-15-2015 at 09:24 AM.

If you don't mind, next time can you put all your DIY threads into one thread?

Would make the subforums less cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
    If you don't mind, next time can you put all your DIY threads into one thread?

Would make the subforums less cluttered.
    Hi ATrain - Thank you for your interest. Are you perhaps a moderator of the Equipment mods and DIY section here? I checked the list of moderators and did not see you listed as one, just DTR, Jason Cerna,and Fusic. If you do happen to be a moderator and just weren't listed, I'd be happy to consolidate to single thread if that's what you advise. Also, if this is what you do advise (and are an actual moderator), please indicate how a single thread should be titled considering each subject is entirely different from one another. If you are not a moderator, perhaps one could chime in and advise officially. Thanks!
    Last edited by [O/][iii][O/]; 01-14-2015 at 05:23 PM.

I am not a moderator.

I was kindly asking if you could consolidate the threads into one, by putting one thread into one post, the next thread into the next post, etc. Then title it, "Triple I's custom equipment mods" or something like that.

I feel out would make your content stand out better and easier for people to find.

I am not sure why you are annoyed with me though.

Hello again ATrain.

I am not a moderator.
    Thank you for confirming what was already suspected.

I was kindly asking if you could consolidate the threads into one, by putting one thread into one post, the next thread into the next post, etc.
    I know, that's what you requested early: "...can you put all your DIY threads into one thread?"

Then title it, "Triple I's custom equipment mods" or something like that.
    Thank you for your recommendation ATrain, however, as a fellow forum user myself, I personally don't believe that method would provide the best user experience for several reasons that I can think of just off top of head. 1) Searching for a particular topic would become more difficult due to the threat title not describing all the various actual modifications/DIYs contained within the single thread. 2) Linking elsewhere to a specific modification/DIY topic would become somewhat convoluted. 3) Discussion amongst other members about a particular modification/DIY within the single thread that contains multiple topics would also become difficult. IMO, there is no real benefit to your suggestion, only unnecessary hindrances. I imagine others may share this opinion considering that there appears to be hundreds of discretely titled threads in the Equipment mods and DIY section that describe the specific subject they are about.

I feel out would make your content stand out better and easier for people to find.
    I disagree. See above for explanations as to why. That being said, like I said earlier, I'd be happy to consolidate to single thread despite my own personal opinion about your recommendation if that is what a moderator happens to advise doing. In fact, yesterday I took the liberty of already sending a moderator a message asking he/she to look into your request and advise. As of this time I still have not received response yet, but hope to soon. Will notify you of results when I do.

I am not sure why you are annoyed with me though.
    Considering the fact that I am not annoyed in the slightest with you (I rarely if ever get annoyed come to think of it), I am not sure why you would even think that I am. I am however somewhat perplexed as to why you are making this false assumption given the fact that I not only thanked you for your interest, I also agreed to comply with your request (if you happened to be a moderator of course), and I even thanked you in advance for indicating how thread title should be done if I were to comply. I’m not a psychologist, but it appears that you may be projecting. For more on this phenomena you may wish to read up on it here and explore if that may be what’s going on with you and why you would incorrectly think that I am annoyed with you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Anyway, thanks again ATrain. Take care and feel free to ask any questions you may have about any of the modifications/DIY projects I’ve posted.

Looks good man!

Quote Originally Posted by Baller95 View Post
    Looks good man!
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

Had a few requests for how to wire this up, so here's a quick schematic detailing it.

I would rather have [O/][iii][O/]'s mods and builds as separate threads. It makes things more easily searchable for those looking for something in particular.

Nice work.

[QUOTE='[O/][iii][O/];427334']Hello again ATrain.

Not sure what i enjoyed more; the tutorial or complete ownage by O/][iii][O/
    Glad to have you here and love the black market soul site
    2 x Technics 1200 mk2 | 3 x Technics DLZ 1200 | Pioneer DDJ-SX2 | Pioneer DJM-600 | Serato Scratch Live 3 |