Thread: what to use when recording an analogue mix??

what to use when recording an analogue mix??

OK so this may seem like a no brainer to some but what would you all use to record a mix strictly analogue? I'm using two CDJs and my VMS4 as the mixer since it can work both as an analogue mixer and controller.

I have a tascam USB interface and I've tried running my booth RCA output (from the mixer) into it then sent that via USB into my computer running Audacity but the file came out all distorted and messed up you couldn't make out anything when listening. I'm starting to put up my own mixes now but my first take was done with a mouse on VDJ (terrible I know) but I need a way to record my mixes while still using my CDs... any thoughts??

Really stuck in the mud on this one

You're on the right track, sounds like you had a gain out of whack somewhere or something. I do the same thing basically when I record live performances off the floor. I use a USB M-Audio interface but it should be basically the same.

came out all distorted
    set your input level with some head room

Yeah sounds like you're overloading the soundcard's input, have a look at the soundcard's input gain levels and the level of your booth output, try adjusting them til you get a good level (well below 0dB in Audacity).

PS maybe it's just my pedantry coming through but it's a bit of a long shot calling a CD-based mix "strictly analogue"

Make sure the sample rate is set correctly (I think it is this setting), but in the past it has given my mate the distorted kind of sound and that was the issue rather than overloading the audio input with too much gain.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Definitely some awesome input from all of you I really appreciate it I will double check my levels and try again and hopefully I can get a solid mix recorded

And @disparate Lol!!! I know I'm probably using the term wrong I just meant making a mix without the use of any kind of DJ software I guess to me that's analogue now worries though thanks for the heads up now it will save me from looking like an idiot later hahaha!!!

forgot one thing, double check your software input is not set to mic instead of line and i think audacity is set to mic by defaut. Easy mistake to make...

Oh ok great thanks!! All these are very helpful hopefully this week's mix will work out nicely thank everyone for the help