Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best MOBILE DJ PROJECTOR SCREENS/units?

Best MOBILE DJ PROJECTOR SCREENS/units?

I lost out on a recent DJ gig, ($550) because I didnt have video gear. I never really looked into using projector screens etc, because I didn't think they were much of a demand. However after seeing a few gigs with these screens, and lossing out on a possible gig, I think I want to begin the process of a projector/video unit to widen my options for clients. I'm looking for something with a clean professional look, quick assembly, that would not break my pockets. Something perhaps I could use as video affects when I'm not using them to project pictures or movies. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by den1213; 01-04-2015 at 10:26 AM.

A couple points you should consider.

1. Output. Projectors are rated in lumens, 3000 lumens is the minimum recommended output for monogram or PowerPoint presentations.

2. Contrast ratio. To not see that 'blue box' behind your monogram you'll need at least a 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

3. Interface. For monogram work, a projector with a USB reader makes life very simple. Some projectors also offer a Wifi Dongle for direct access from your laptop.

4. Screens. Industry standard "fast fold" type screens are the best, don't go the cheesy route with stretch point fabrics.

What's your budget? You should be able to charge plus or minus $ 350 for projector and screen.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Well I've seen a few with tri-pod and pull up screen on amazon and eBay for around $48 to $98. Are those not good? I've also priced one in Office Max for $200. Haven't got around to the actual projector just yet. I'm trying do a bit of research at this point. So for starters, maybe I'm looking to spend between $150, to $500. Is that not reasonable for a quality unit? Also, I want to be able to do some outside work showings in the summer on the screen.

For projectors, I hate to tell you but you're going to need to spend at least 1k, because you're going to want 3500 to 4000 lumens. Bill has some BenQ models he recommends and sells (if you search some older threads). There are short throw and long throw, I would get a short throw so that you don't need a lot of space.

What's the average size for a screens or Dj use. My crowds are anywhere from 100 to 500? I wart a decent size for people to see.

Great topic by the way. As I do through VJ thing exclusively I always interested in what people have to say on monitor and projection options. There are ways to spice up your display and presentation. For ultra - portable I usually lug around a 50 inch LED monitor display for my dj table and a relatively inexpensive Epson Projector (Model VS310 for which you can Google the Specs and is well below the recommended specs listed in this thread by others) with small table with screen positioned elsewhere. I paid maybe $450 for the projector and is not true HD and gets me by. It is far from ideal but when on a budget you make do within your limitations, right? I will be going ultra-short-throw soon though. Right now I am pecking away on an Android tablet so will send video links when I get to my puter. For the screen (100 Inch 16 X 9 format), I bought it at Costco for about $150 and built a bottom shroud (like a skrim) that I DIY-ed to make it more presentable and get compliments on it all the time. If I don't have to lug a screen around I don't. Many venues nowadays have projection or large format flat screens you can plug into. I did a wedding at a golf course that had an amazing 100 Inch HD screen right above the dj table that knocked the Clients socks off...
    Last edited by navydiver; 01-04-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Strength in Depth!
    Tim

I also did a gig at Hatley Castle here (if you have ever seen the X-men movies, it is where they filmed the school and wedding sequences). They have an amazing ultra - short throw projector that is positioned on the floor maybe a foot front the wall painted with projection white that completely fills the entire wall. NOW THAT IS A COOL VIDEO EXPERIENCE!
    Strength in Depth!
    Tim

So here are some links to various screen options I have used:

A work Christmas Party in the Gunroom (Officers Mess) at WorkPoint on CFB Esquimalt Military Base - The big screen was hard fitted at the venue:

A very small golf course XMAS party setup setup:

The Hatley castle setup (unfortunately no video of the screen working but you can see the cool ultra-short throw projector at 00:25 seconds into the clip. The framed in area you see that is above it is completely filled with video image plugged into my system):

This next one was a wedding I did at a Polish hall. You can see the costco screen I made at 2:08 into this video - this was a far from ideal setup as the groom wanted me to pull out the video gear half way through the event - they were happy though which made me happy:

House Surprise Bday Party:

I have been real bad at doing video or still imagery of my setups and will be paying closer attention to it in future.
    Last edited by navydiver; 01-06-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    Strength in Depth!
    Tim

You can get a 3000 lumen, 13,000;1 contrast ratio projector with a USB reader for $ 579 delivered, however 6 x 8' screen will run around $ 900
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Great, so much info. Thank you all. billesc, with the USB reader, does that mean I can use video or use text from my phone or laptop to show on the screen. Also, looking at a 100 inch epson with stand for about $199. Would that survive with the projector you recommend?