Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: How do mediocre DJ's get gigs?

Im new to this forum, and loving this thread. It's refreshing to see other DJ'S on here helping each other out with unbiased opinions instead of the snobs on serato forums that I'm used to. Which is why I joined this forum after getting too angry at everyone hating on each other on serato. Why the ego? Aren't we all here to earn money while pursuing our passion? Don't we all start at the bottom and try to improve our skill and confidence in time through practice and advice? Anyway, my question was pretty much answered after reading through a lot of these posts. I am a part time mobile dj, more of a hobby really, and had the question of mixing/scratching/blending songs for certain gigs. Since this is a hobby for me and not a full time job, unfortunately my full time job and newborn boy consumes most of my time and leaves little for practice, I only do gigs such as house parties and corporate holiday parties, mostly gigs under 100 people. I do blend certain song sets that I put in my crate once the partiers start getting loose, but I don't seem to be beat matching like I probable should be. I tend to blend in a song that I feel goes better with the current track playing rather then focusing on the BPMS. Though reading through these comments I'm going to practice more with paying attention to BPMS rather then just trusting my ears, especially since I don't use a monitor (for now). I want to start getting into weddings, mainly because its a lot more money to be made. With that being said, I have been to quite a few weddings, and from what I have noticed, the crowd had a much better response from DJ'S who played a track out in its entirety instead of cutting it midway and bringing in a new track. Most of the wedding crowds feature people of all ages, so this makes complete sense to me. But I didn't want to be "that DJ" who is judged as only pushing the play button once the song ends and brings in a new one. I enjoy blending songs, however my comfort level with my skill is usually blending them at the end of one track with an intro on another. Or if i see the crowd isn't digging my current track I will fade or echo out after the second chorus or during a break in the bass and bring in a new song on the 1. Is this the norm for weddings? I don't want to book weddings and bite off more then I can chew, but I also know that the only way to build my confidence, aside from practicing, is to do the gigs and accept all feedback. I don't have the time to teach myself to scratch, and I don't think it's even necessary for the current gigs that I do. Just wanted to post this because if I did this on Serato forum I would only get responses that would make me want to smash an 18" sub over their head.

Also, most music I play is the typical slow beginning intro music, such as deep house remixes of pop songs, bob marley, etc...then I get into the more top 40's music, a lot of them being remixes of originals. Then after an hour or two into it, and people are getting loose, I get into hip hop, reggae, clubby music type music with harder hitting bass and faster rhythms. And when people get real loose I let my old school miami booty music loose and go Luke, Uncle AL etc... I rarely play techno or edm aside from some nice remixes that I come across and maybe do a half hour of it.
    Last edited by DunnDunna; 11-29-2015 at 07:51 PM.

HaHa! We have a couple of guys like that here in Phoenix. They'll do a 6 hour wedding for $400. They have to keep creating new profiles on Thumbtack because of all of the negative reviews. It makes me laugh to think that somebody passed me over to hire one of these clowns because they were a few dollars cheaper

So many others have hit the nail on the head.

I'm all about giving the people what they want and sometimes that makes for "rougher than I'd like" transitions. While it's good to come to an event with a set or two in mind, the key is to read and play to the crowd.

Of course, that's entirely my opinion.
    Being a DJ is like being in the mob. You're in it, then you try to get out but it pulls you right back in.
    (2) Technics 1200 M3D's | (1) Pioneer DJM-S9 | (2) QSC K12's + QSC K181 | (1) Numark NS7II

I think there have been some good points here. Bad djs also get gigs because they are good at sales!!! When the client calls and you have all the right answers, chances are your going to get the gig. You may not get any referrals from that client but there is so much more to being a mobile jock than performance.

I know some great djs but are not very good at sales or just don't like to sell that are not very busy. If your good at sales and you are a great jock your on the right track!

Quote Originally Posted by mixnmark View Post
    I know some great djs but are not very good at sales or just don't like to sell that are not very busy. If your good at sales and you are a great jock your on the right track!
    Some of those (edit: great) DJ's might not want to sell. Happy sitting at home as long as they have 1 or 2 gigs to pay the bills.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 02-08-2016 at 07:17 PM.

That wasn't the question. The question and topic of the forum is How do mediocre djs get gigs. I was just saying that mediocre djs can get gigs by being good at sales.

I've ran across some of the best DJ's, and some of the worst in my 15 years doing this. I try not to be too judgmental of other DJ's. After all, we all work in the same industry and desire to achieve the same results from what we do. However there are many things I notice when I'm a guest at a wedding, or at a party I am not DJ'ing. Whether it be a messy setup, lack of lighting, lack of value, or low microphone skills, I tend to notice. On the other side of things though, the idea of "value" is different for everyone. Some people find paying the cheapest price to be the best "value". That's where the bottom feeders come in, and will undercut every DJ around just to have a high QUANTITY of events. In my experience I've learned and always stood by the idea that QUALITY is better than QUANTITY. I would rather have 10 events that pay well, and are extremely worth while, over having 50 gigs that barely worth while. I do try to have a competitive price, but I do NOT sink my price to the bare minimum just to land a gig. I try to show my clients the value they receive for the price they pay. I've hardly ever had issues with that.
    I just believe when the subject of "how mediocre DJ's get gigs" comes up, there are many factors that come into play. Perhaps this "mediocre DJ" was a friend or family to the person having the event. Maybe they DID lower their price so low that it was impossible to say no. I do believe you get what you pay for, but some DJ's aren't willing to charge what they are worth because they just want to have a QUANTITY of gigs. I believe in quality. Every DJ does something unique to themselves, we aren't all the same, just have the same basic job. I've always been more thankful doing a smaller amount of really good gigs, versus a huge amount of "mediocre" gigs. Part of why I left DJ'ing the bar scene was because my venues and weekly shows were simply that, "mediocre". Making such a small amount only a couple times a week, while still putting in just the same amount of effort and work, and all the late nights at bars was no longer appealing to me.
    There really isn't a SPECIFIC reason why "mediocre" DJ's get gigs, many things come into play. Thanks for a good topic!

Well with social networking now anyone can get a gig no matter what kind of experience you have. Theres so much literature and so many tutorials out there to help these djs master their craft so its disappointing to run into these djs. I'm happy to support any of them and help them, but they gotta have the drive and willingness to want to improve!

-PhenomBK
    www.phenombk.com

The barriers to entry to be a DJ get lower every year. First you actually own a final collection of a large range of songs to be a DJ. Then CDs came along and CD burners but you still had to go to the effort of learning to mix. Now you just need a laptop and sync button. Also equipment has gotten cheaper through the years. PA used to be a lot more expensive to.
    http://www.herodjs.com.au
    Perth DJ Hire For Wedding and Events www.herodjs.com.au/