Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What could be wrong with this xlr cable?

Ah the cable the causes mysterious hum.

When I worked in live music we had a technical term for this problem...

It's fucked.

The cure is to cut the ends off and throw it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJWhoQE

After 2 years, DJWhoQE has challenged me again. It's all going to kick off over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Subprime View Post
    Ah the cable the causes mysterious hum.

When I worked in live music we had a technical term for this problem...

It's fucked.

The cure is to cut the ends off and throw it away.
    Thanks for that! I know it's easier to just cut the ends off and junk the cable,but I have always looked for the 'why" when something goes wrong....no matter what it is,car, furnace,etc..that's just the way I roll! Huck50

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Can anyone vouch for the effectiveness of removing hums,buzzes when using this product:http://www.avshop.ca/sound-amp-pa-au...um-buzz-filter Thanks,Huck50
    Nevermind!! I tried this Hum-X and no work...still humming...that's with nothing plugged in,just powered up. Huck50

Hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Thanks for that! I know it's easier to just cut the ends off and junk the cable,but I have always looked for the 'why" when something goes wrong....no matter what it is,car, furnace,etc..that's just the way I roll! Huck50
    The problem is that cables wear out in unpredictable ways, sometimes when treated badly (yanked around, coiled badly, run over by a drum riser...), sometimes just general wear and tear from regular use. You can't really tell where or what the problem is (probably something with the shielding if you've checked the cable carries a signal), because to find the problem would have to destroy the cable. If you're lucky the damage is near one of the ends, in which case you can start chopping the cable down and re wiring it, which might get rid of the problem. If you're unlucky the problem is not near the ends and you're basically unless you want to keep going until you've got 10cm of cable.

This happens with power cables as well, bit easier to test because they're less sensitive to small problems, but they'll get a break somewhere or crushed by something and stop working / start failing safety tests.

At the end of the day cables are basically a consumable, and the expensive bit is the connectors at the end. Rather than faff around I'd just bin it, but I come from a environment where I've got half a tonne of cables to pick another one from.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJWhoQE

After 2 years, DJWhoQE has challenged me again. It's all going to kick off over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Subprime View Post
    The problem is that cables wear out in unpredictable ways, sometimes when treated badly (yanked around, coiled badly, run over by a drum riser...), sometimes just general wear and tear from regular use. You can't really tell where or what the problem is (probably something with the shielding if you've checked the cable carries a signal), because to find the problem would have to destroy the cable. If you're lucky the damage is near one of the ends, in which case you can start chopping the cable down and re wiring it, which might get rid of the problem. If you're unlucky the problem is not near the ends and you're basically unless you want to keep going until you've got 10cm of cable.

This happens with power cables as well, bit easier to test because they're less sensitive to small problems, but they'll get a break somewhere or crushed by something and stop working / start failing safety tests.

At the end of the day cables are basically a consumable, and the expensive bit is the connectors at the end. Rather than faff around I'd just bin it, but I come from a environment where I've got half a tonne of cables to pick another one from.
    Which is the best cable company for bulk cable..... two conductor,shielded....Belden or Canare? Thanks,Huck50

Which is the best cable company for bulk cable..... two conductor,shielded....Belden or Canare? Thanks,Huck50
    Bill ESC on this forum probably has some of the best deals on high quality made to order cables
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by allensmusic View Post
    Bill ESC on this forum probably has some of the best deals on high quality made to order cables
    Thanks,but I would like to try making my own cables. Thanks,Huck50

Thanks,but I would like to try making my own cables. Thanks,Huck50
    I dont blame you, I make my own.

Belden cable is certainly top notch

Quote Originally Posted by allensmusic View Post
    I dont blame you, I make my own.

Belden cable is certainly top notch
    What model(part#) Belden do you recommend....they make about 15 two wire shielded. I won't be going long distance,just in my 12x24x8 listening area. Just your basic cable. Thanks,Huck50
    Last edited by Huck50; 12-22-2014 at 05:44 AM.