Thread: Hi All

Question Hi All

Just a quick intro

I'm 41 learnt to mix & beat match about 17 years ago in clubs with freinds of mine, most of my experience was using Technics 1200 & Cloud DM1200.

I was a mobile DJ before that but only used 2 CD players & a cheap mixer from Maplins. I had no experience at all since the 1200's I would use on a warmup session for my friend who was the main DJ that I learnt from.

I have felt the urge to get out there again so treated myself to 2x Pioneer CDJ2000Nexus players & DJM900Nexus mixer, I have a stand, lights amp & speakers & I'm just about to get my demo cd out there to pubs & clubs that might like my style of Soulful house mixes, I am so passionate about my genre of music I would play for nothing as long as people would listen & dance.

So that's the intro over, my question is this.

What's the point of using rekordbox/serato/virtual dj with the pioneer nexus range? Is it purely just to load music up from in which case I use a USB stick for my mixes & feel the need for nothing else!

Yes I do own high end decks & mixer & I can make wicked mixes on them but I just don't know what the need for a laptop is for any DJ you see out there using Pioneer gear.

Please put me out of my misery, am I really missing the point ?

Thanks guys & girls.

You're not missing the point.

Computers can do more than pioneer decks, but combining them is.....weird, and I think it's counterproductive. Either works. Both together....seems like an expensive waste.

Rekordbox is basically just a library. You can easily store hot cues, loops, memory points, beat grids (for the sync button, quantized loops and cues, etc.) and other information with the tracks. And you can still export that library to USB keys or an external hard drive, so you don't need the laptop on stage with you. It might be worth looking at.

Traktor and Serato play music off the computer and can use decks as control surfaces. Each offers more (and in some cases better) effects and capabilities than all-hardware decks. Check out their demo videos if you're interested.

As for me...it's been years since I DJ'd without a computer.

I use Traktor (and spin a variety of house, techno, and breaks styles) mostly because it's simple and straightforward to have three decks for songs plus another four for drum loops, little pieces, etc.. Mostly, I just enjoy DJing this way.

But, when I spin what I call soulful house, I don't really use any of the extra stuff, and I'd be just as happy on a pair of cdjs.

The only reason I don't own CDJs is that I think they're too expensive for what you get....I'd rather use my 1200s and a digital vinyl system to play the music off the laptop and have it feel like it's on wax, or just not bother and use my Traktor controllers, which look a lot less cool but work at least as well.

If you like what you're using, there's no reason to change.
    Last edited by mostapha; 11-14-2014 at 05:40 PM.