Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vestax pdx d3 mk2 problems

Vestax pdx d3 mk2 problems

Evening everyone, I purchased a pair of vestax pdx d3 mkII a while ago from ebay, they are in decent condition but i think there performance is getting worse, they just dont seem to hold pitch very well.

does anyone have any experience with these turntables? any ideas would be awesome

I am thinking of replacing the pitch controlls later on this week but they cost £50 for the pair inc postage. not sure if this will fix the issue or am i flogging a dead horse

Take it into Soundbase on Oldham street and they will give a quote. That way you know if it's fixable or not.

cheers for the reply man, i can most prob replace parts myself. they are fairly simple inside. also pitch faders are user replacable.

dont want to spend loads on these, just wondering if theres any other d3 users about

Vestax pitches aren't as accurate as Technics. If the wow&flutter is really bad, replacing the pitch faders might help though.

that was my thinking also, im sure these things are getting worse though!haha

get some proper turntables (Technics) n stop being a girl : )
    http://soundcloud.com/lukealexander1
    http://www.mixcloud.com/LukeAlexanderDj/
    http://www.facebook.com/LukeAlexanderDj

I'd give the faders a blast with some cleaner before you go spending money on new parts m8.

And maybe a clean under the hood if you're competent at such things ......
    It's not difficult but you could f up your decks for good as you won't be able to buy the spare part for love nor money if you damage it ...
    Pop the platters off and peel off the cover round the spindle to access and clean the pitch sensors, if you haven't already. They're only stuck down with sticky back plastic. Underneath there's a v.thin delicate slotted metal disc and an optical sensor under that cover that probably needs a clean if yours are anything like mine were when I 1st opened them up.
    Take care not to damage that disc tho cos you'll probably have to buy a donor deck to replace it.

The pdxd3mkiis have digi pitch with rather poor resolution tho so some tracks will never actually be beatmatched and need adjusting with the pitch bend joystick eventually ....... I really miss that joystick and being able to mix vinyl without having to touch it, since upgrading. Every deck should have 1.

Evening mate, do you have anymore info regarding this optical sensor? how ould i clean that.

In the end i replaced both pitch controls, they wernt in stock at vestax uk because of the age of them but the pdx2000 fader fits no problem.

i just had to de solder the new faders from the pcb, same with the old faders as the pcb is different.

these turntables are actually quite good, they are just a bit slow for any ajustments to happen

Iso alcohol and a cotton wool bud m8
    There's what looks like an emitter and a receiver either side of the disc with the slot in for the timing circuit so its worth checking that there's no dirt or anything in there to mess up the timing.

I had to be very hands on with mine, beatmatching and making adjustments, due to their age and fading torque. Only 1 of my mates has been able to beatmatch on them tbh but he did say that once you learn to mix on a deck with low torque you'll probly be able to mix just about any deck, which I gotta agree with now I'm a bit more experienced. The right combo of slipmats and sheets of paper or non stick baking sheets under the mats made a big difference for me, learning how to be so hands on.

Afternoon mate, had a look today and they do seem clean. replacing the faders made a huge difference though. they are usable again!

I dont think the torque on these is much of a problem, i dont tend to adjust that much using the platter if i can help it.

I did read somewhere that the pitch display shows you exactly what is actually happening, so the resolution of the pitch is fairly pants @0.1 increments.

it makes me wonder what the 3% mode is actually for as the resolution isnt increased.