Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing idea...anyone do this? Thoughts on it?

Pricing idea...anyone do this? Thoughts on it?

Thinking of charging a simple hourly rate, say $75, 2 or 3 hour min.
    That's for a basic system, no lights. Think grad party or similar event.

Bigger system (if they want or need it for their venue) is a flat upcharge. $200
    Second system is a flat upcharge, $200.
    Lighting is a flat upcharge. $200
    Weddings are a flat upcharge, $200.

A typical wedding is 5 hours, w/ bigger system and lighting so it adds to $975. I get what I want for a wedding. Smaller weddings might get away with $775 on a smaller system.
    I can get small gigs without scaring them away when they see wedding pricing and I won't have to explain to brides why a 3 hour backyard gig is so much less than a wedding.

Also makes coupons/specials/bridal show discounts easier to work out. "free system upgrade' or 'free lights' (or half off, etc) for example.

I get a lot of inquiries by email and am looking for a simple, consumer-understandable way to price and respond to them.

Thoughts? Issues you see with this?

I tried this.

It ended in my business feeling like it was the dollar store. Lots of tire kickers and low ballers. Price what your worth!
    Mo Chedda, Mo Cheese http://www.bpmcalgary.com.
    Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BPMCalgary

Then what do you suggest?

Wedding $1500? Grad party or similar $600?
    Great idea but not in my area.

A 150 person reception - dinner, room, cake, centerpieces, etc can be had for $3000-4000 at multiple venues. Mid market venues and hotels are in the $8-12k range for that.
    Having been a wedding photog for 10+ years in this market I see a direct relationship with what you charge and the size of the wedding - budgets are spread out pretty evenly. You want $1500 as a DJ here? You'll only work 300+ size weddings and that's 20% of the market and only 2 venues can handle it. Most weddings (natl avg and local avg) are 130-140 people. Half the guests..half the budget...

I charge $700 for a wedding--big or small. That includes at least one or two American Dj Revo 4 (or Chauvet Circus II) with a controller or I use the UC3.

And its extra if theres a ceremony outside. Meaning $100 more to bring a small PA for the ceremony if you have to wire up something outside the main hall. That means one or two powered speakers, mic stand, (2) wireless lavs or (2)wireless handhelds.
    Then I unhook that sh*t and bring the wireless back into the main hall. And those aren't cheap Gemini wireless mics either.

You start buckling down for less than $700, you end up doing Subway Sandwiches, Cheezits and punch bowl wedding receptions along with a non host bar, meaning at no time during the reception is there an 'open bar' period.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    Thinking of charging a simple hourly rate, say $75, 2 or 3 hour min.
    That's for a basic system, no lights. Think grad party or similar event.

Bigger system (if they want or need it for their venue) is a flat upcharge. $200
    Second system is a flat upcharge, $200.
    Lighting is a flat upcharge. $200
    Weddings are a flat upcharge, $200.

A typical wedding is 5 hours, w/ bigger system and lighting so it adds to $975. I get what I want for a wedding. Smaller weddings might get away with $775 on a smaller system.
    I can get small gigs without scaring them away when they see wedding pricing and I won't have to explain to brides why a 3 hour backyard gig is so much less than a wedding.

Also makes coupons/specials/bridal show discounts easier to work out. "free system upgrade' or 'free lights' (or half off, etc) for example.

I get a lot of inquiries by email and am looking for a simple, consumer-understandable way to price and respond to them.

Thoughts? Issues you see with this?
    Its real similar to what I do. I start with the basics that some people need for lower budgets & smaller events & add only the equipment & services that a person needs. It works well for me.

I start at $500 for a small, basic set up & just to come play music including a wireless mic for 3 hr minimum. If they want/need lights, I add the lighting package they want. If they need a 2nd set up for the ceremony in a different location or area, I add that. If they need more than 3 hrs, I add the amount of time they want/need. If they need up lighting, I add that. Each additional item & service is an extra fee.

Not everyone needs a lot. I recently did a wedding & reception for a 50ish couple for only about 40 people including family & a few close friends only. It wasnt intended to be a big party... more of a social gathering so some of the kids & guests could dance occasionally. They just needed 3 hrs to get married, have some snacks & finger foods from 5 pm until 8 pm. easy gig, no lights or fuss... Just a simple wedding for an older couple.

Basic setup, no lights, just show up & play some 60's, 70's & 80's pop for 3 hrs = $500

Having said all that, everybody runs their business based on their ideas, clients, demands, geographic area etc. It doesn't work for everyone in every situation. But it does work for certain situations. If you think it will work for you in your situation, that's what you need to try. There is a reason you think this will work or is the best way for you to operate your specific business. There is no "one" way to run a business. Look at your surroundings & look at your situation thoroughly... Make your decission based on your knowledge for your specific situation.

Good luck
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Party starts at 6 dancing at 8. They only want you for the dancing part. When are you going to setup?
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Typical wedding gig here is reception - 5-6 hours, but it can vary a bit. Add in a ceremony and you add 60-90 minutes to it.
    Seems about 1/2 my weddings this year needed a second system (weather permitting...had to bring it just in case, or actually, rent it).

If cocktails are 5-6 guest show about 4:45, few things run on time but they usually have to be done by 10 or 11.

Some DJs bring no lights..I think you need them at a wedding, but having it be separate makes for a lower price option for marketing. I have one stand and tree - not a big deal to bring. My idea was to add value - lighting -the the 500-700 price range.

But I get a lot of inquires for smaller, shorter, gigs - grad parties, b'day parties, etc. and folks aren't gonna drop $500 on that. Don't need a big system, usually no dancing to speak of. There are low end gigs - easy ones - halloween dance last year for girl scouts, local grange does square dancing every other fri night, etc. $150-200 and 3 hours of playing. Works for me as there's no meetings, announcements, etc needed - easy stuff. Unless there's 1,000lbs of gear and hours of setup/teardown involved.

But if I market $150/3 hours and a bride wants 5 hours and I then ask $700...I can see her getting confused, upset, feeling ripped off. "why can't you do my wedding for $300?" Consumers are not that stupid.

Now I could forgo the little jobs..but I want them as a away to build my biz and make some extra money when I can. Better to make $200 than watch TV all night.

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    Typical wedding gig here is reception - 5-6 hours, but it can vary a bit. Add in a ceremony and you add 60-90 minutes to it.
    Seems about 1/2 my weddings this year needed a second system (weather permitting...had to bring it just in case, or actually, rent it).

If cocktails are 5-6 guest show about 4:45, few things run on time but they usually have to be done by 10 or 11.

Some DJs bring no lights..I think you need them at a wedding, but having it be separate makes for a lower price option for marketing. I have one stand and tree - not a big deal to bring. My idea was to add value - lighting -the the 500-700 price range.

But I get a lot of inquires for smaller, shorter, gigs - grad parties, b'day parties, etc. and folks aren't gonna drop $500 on that. Don't need a big system, usually no dancing to speak of. There are low end gigs - easy ones - halloween dance last year for girl scouts, local grange does square dancing every other fri night, etc. $150-200 and 3 hours of playing. Works for me as there's no meetings, announcements, etc needed - easy stuff. Unless there's 1,000lbs of gear and hours of setup/teardown involved.

But if I market $150/3 hours and a bride wants 5 hours and I then ask $700...I can see her getting confused, upset, feeling ripped off. "why can't you do my wedding for $300?" Consumers are not that stupid.

Now I could forgo the little jobs..but I want them as a away to build my biz and make some extra money when I can. Better to make $200 than watch TV all night.
    How are the smaller gigs building your business?

$150 for three hours comes out to $50 an hour and that's the low end of DJ'ing.

So after calculating consumables (gas, food), music upkeep and your time, you think its worth it to leave the house for such low amounts?

For DJ's in business less than five years, I would recommend this. The $50 dollar an hour market is for up and coming DJ, not those with decades of experience.

To get better paid gigs all the time, you'll need to find those clients, develop relationships and network. I've estimate that min for sound with lights and no sub is $398 and that includes 4 hours of music, no setup fees, etc, etc.

Don't get into a discussion of trying to justify your prices with clients, that puts you in a losing position. If people make you justify why you cost X amount, refer them to a younger DJ or one with less experience.

There's two ways to look at it, "some work is better than no work" or "my time is worth a certain amount of money". Personally, I typically can't be bothered to do anything no matter how much or how little equipment it takes for less than $250. But that's just me and my personal situation. I'm really not judging what anyone else does with their time and resources. And I do occasionally break my own rule. It is my rule after all.

I'd be wary of giving any kind of option that puts you in front of a crowd of people with less equipment than needed to do the job properly. No way I'm letting some cheapskate book me with a "package" that is going to make me look like I'm not up to the task just because they don't want to spend what is needed. That's why I always get details about the event before I give a price: venue/type of event/amount of time/number of guests.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ LEVLHED View Post
    There's two ways to look at it, "some work is better than no work" or "my time is worth a certain amount of money". Personally, I typically can't be bothered to do anything no matter how much or how little equipment it takes for less than $250. But that's just me and my personal situation. I'm really not judging what anyone else does with their time and resources. And I do occasionally break my own rule. It is my rule after all.

I'd be wary of giving any kind of option that puts you in front of a crowd of people with less equipment than needed to do the job properly. No way I'm letting some cheapskate book me with a "package" that is going to make me look like I'm not up to the task just because they don't want to spend what is needed. That's why I always get details about the event before I give a price: venue/type of event/amount of time/number of guests.
    Very good advice. Good post...
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php