Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technic 1200 Tonearm Issue. (Video)

Question Technic 1200 Tonearm Issue. (Video)

I just picked up my first pair of Technics & I am pretty happy about it, but for some reason I am having an issue with one of the tone arms. When I tested them at the persons house, they worked perfect. He was using a different needles, so that might be a factor, but I'm not sure.

When I try to put the needle to the record, the tone arm just floats. I have tried calibrating the tone arm and it does the same thing. Even with the weight all the way down, it still floats. when I take the weight off, the tone arm does go down. Any suggestions?

It's probably an easy fix, or I'm just missing something.

Should I add weight to my needle?

I've tried to use my Stanton headshell & needle & it does the same thing.

But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I know how to calibrate a turntable.

I took it in to a local (45min away) DJ Shop, and he said the barrings inside the tonearm are messed up. He said I should replace the tonearm.

I am having the same issue with my newly purchased Technics. I think something may have happened when they were shipped to me. I’m considering taking the arm assemblies out myself and sending them to DJHENRAYCUSTOMS for repair, or tonearm replacement. I was so bummed, but, this will give me a chance to have them replace the pop up light to a blue LED while they are working on the arms. I am almost sure this issue is a result of a bad bearing in the arm.
    Last edited by DJBSLYDE; 12-15-2018 at 10:26 AM.

My first thought was that you didn't put the tonearm rest into its lowered position, but I can see that's the first thing you did at the beginning of the video. OR the rest doesn't fully go down, but once again it appears to be working normally.

What happens when you try to push the cart down onto the record? Does it feel stiff, or like something is obstructing the movement?

It may very well be the bearings, however I'm not sure if an entire tonearm replacement is in order. Could be something as simple as dust accumulation or some other gunk has built up inside.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    My first thought was that you didn't put the tonearm rest into its lowered position, but I can see that's the first thing you did at the beginning of the video. OR the rest doesn't fully go down, but once again it appears to be working normally.

What happens when you try to push the cart down onto the record? Does it feel stiff, or like something is obstructing the movement?

It may very well be the bearings, however I'm not sure if an entire tonearm replacement is in order. Could be something as simple as dust accumulation or some other gunk has built up inside.
    I could not even put my needle arm over the record to balance it properly, without it pulling back towards the resting position. It is definitely a problem with the bearings (I think it’s called pivot bearings) From what I have researched, it’s better to replace the entire arm. Few people can mimick the way Technics installs the bearings, and tighten things up properly. I did notice some companies that repair turntables advertise bearing replacement. What do you think about this matter? Another thing, my needle arm would in fact lower, it just wanted to pull back towards the resting position.
    Last edited by DJBSLYDE; 12-15-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJBSLYDE View Post
    I could not even put my needle arm over the record to balance it properly, without it pulling back towards the resting position. It is definitely a problem with the bearings (I think it’s called pivot bearings) From what I have researched, it’s better to replace the entire arm because few can mimick the way Technics installs the bearings and tighten things up properly. I did notice some companies that repair turntables advertise bearing replacement. What do you think about this matter? Another thing, my needle arm would in fact lower, it just wanted to pull back towards the resting position.
    Definitely a good idea to replace. I had the same problem on one of my technics 5 years ago and just replaced both. working 100% now. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post

thinking it could also possibly be the headshell - some 'align' differently [or not at all] with different tonearms

Quote Originally Posted by DJBSLYDE View Post
    I could not even put my needle arm over the record to balance it properly, without it pulling back towards the resting position. It is definitely a problem with the bearings (I think it’s called pivot bearings) From what I have researched, it’s better to replace the entire arm because few can mimick the way Technics installs the bearings and tighten things up properly. I did notice some companies that repair turntables advertise bearing replacement. What do you think about this matter? Another thing, my needle arm would in fact lower, it just wanted to pull back towards the resting position.
    Im not gonna lie; cleaning and re-assembling the bearings is a tricky job - you need special tools to do it properly, but it can be done. One of our veteran members, Nicadraus does it all the time.

As for the arm pulling back; it sounds like the the anti-skate adjustment may be out of whack or it my not be set to zero - make sure it is to rule out any damage to it.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,