Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technic 1200 Tonearm Issue. (Video)

Upon thinking deeper into your Technics problem, I'm assuming this was a used 1200? It's possible the previous owner tried taking the tonearm apart for whatever reason and lost one (or more) of the tiny bearings. If this is the case then I could definitely see something like this behavior happening with the tonearm so a bearing replacement may be a wise decision.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    thinking it could also possibly be the headshell - some 'align' differently [or not at all] with different tonearms
    From the video, it looks to be an original Technics headshell, so I don't think that's where the problem lies here.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    Im not gonna lie; cleaning and re-assembling the bearings is a tricky job - you need special tools to do it properly, but it can be done. One of our veteran members, Nicadraus does it all the time.

As for the arm pulling back; it sounds like the the anti-skate adjustment may be out of whack or it my not be set to zero - make sure it is to rule out any damage to it.
    The anti-skate was at zero. I have set up a few turntables and never had that issue. I removed the arm assemblies and sent them to DJHENRAYCUSTOMS to get a idea what happened. I have never heard or experienced anything like this until I got these turntables. I will say the turntables were shipped in a Odyssey case, and the seller did not take the weight off the back of the arm during shipment. I think they got damaged in transit from the seller. My turntables are mint and showed no signs of damage, so that’s my theory. I also think when I opened one of the cases, the arm was not even secured in the holder (probably came undone)

Hell... I've played clubs with decks like that.
    Not something you forget in a hurry. Panicing for the first half hour...then holding the needle onto the record for half the night, the other half I managed to jerry-rig a weighting system that could track a record 50% of the time.

If its the same issue then adjusting the anti-skate and weight won't help much. But give it a try.
    Either way getting it fixed is the only way to solve the issue.

Funny...thinking about it, that I've only experienced this issue with Technics. Which kinda goes against their bombproof reputation.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by DJBSLYDE View Post
    The anti-skate was at zero. I have set up a few turntables and never had that issue. I removed the arm assemblies and sent them to DJHENRAYCUSTOMS to get a idea what happened. I have never heard or experienced anything like this until I got these turntables. I will say the turntables were shipped in a Odyssey case, and the seller did not take the weight off the back of the arm during shipment. I think they got damaged in transit from the seller. My turntables are mint and showed no signs of damage, so that’s my theory. I also think when I opened one of the cases, the arm was not even secured in the holder (probably came undone)
    Good luck with DJHENRAYCUSTOMS, hopefully they can get you sorted out. I look forward to hear what they find the culprit is.

Good luck with DJHENRAYCUSTOMS, hopefully they can get you sorted out. I look forward to hear what they find the culprit is.
    Thanks so much for the kind reply. I am going to try to attach a video of my issue. The needle was not on at the time, but it should still give you all a idea of my issue.

Watch “Technics 1200 M3D Tonearm Problem” on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/305262458?ref=em-share

Found this old YT video that shows a temporary fix for your problem. It's filmed in potato-vision, but it's from 2009 after all.

Found this old YT video that shows a temporary fix for your problem. It's filmed in potato-vision, but it's from 2009 after all.
    Thanks so much for this information. The gimbal was the issue. I got one of the arms fixed. I'm going to send the other off soon (I wanted to make sure I had enough money for the repairs before I sent both) Here is a picture of my pride and joy Technics SL-1200 M3D

Last edited by DJBSLYDE; 12-15-2018 at 10:24 AM.