Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technics 1200 "Technology & Patent"

Arrow Technics 1200 "Technology & Patent"

How ya doin Forum,

To anyone who is seasoned or knowledgeable about the Classic 1200 series by Technics.

So I am one of the many dj's out here who has been trying to get my hands on a pair of Technics for a long while now. In about 2006 I had two Chrome MK5's and sold them. Little did I know that a few years later they would be discontinued. I guess most of the classic Old School DJ's have about 4 Sets of the Mk2 model. I wanted to get my hands on a set of the Sleek Black MK5G's for the longest but missed out on buying them when they were of a reasonable price.

Moving right along, someone I recently spoke to said that Technics had a patent on there technology but the patent recently expired. Have no idea how true or untrue this is? To get to my point, I would like ot know if either the Stanton Str8-80 or the Newer Model Pioneer PLX-1000 has implemented Technics technology and implemented it within there turntables. Obviously both Stanton and Pioneer looked to be making some sort of a replica of the classic 1200 series with one or two more bells and whistles. I am sure the Hardcore Technic owners will say there is nothing that will replace the 1200 interms of feel. Me personally, I love a little bit of torque but the original Hip Hop dj's never had an issue with torque, they just found a way to do it minus the torque. The ease of backspinning with the 1200 is like none other though. Just my personal opinion. Once u remove all that torque, it makes backspins a whole lot more friendly.

Look forward to hearing the wise men chime in.

Thank You

Little known to most Dj's that the 1200 series of turntables were built as Hi-FI decks and only by being so tough and the feature set made them the ideal dj turntable. As for the patent I'm not sure any one will resurrect the 1200's since there are alternatives out there (super oem including the new Pioneer and Reloop decks) but Panasonic is bringing back the Technics brand so hopefully the may bring the 1200's back from the dead.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    Little known to most Dj's that the 1200 series of turntables were built as Hi-FI decks and only by being so tough and the feature set made them the ideal dj turntable. As for the patent I'm not sure any one will resurrect the 1200's since there are alternatives out there (super oem including the new Pioneer and Reloop decks) but Panasonic is bringing back the Technics brand so hopefully the may bring the 1200's back from the dead.
    drzinc,

Thank you for your reply. Well, this will be interesting to see if Panasonic resurrects the 1200. The last couple of years, people have been selling theres for a small gold mind. Ebay, Craigslist, and where ever else, there all jacked up to double and triple the price. Figure, I went to Guitar Center the other day and they have Mk2's that are 15 to 20 years old being sold for $600 bucks. WTF? I'd love to get my hands on another set but if I'm going to drop $1200 on a set of abused turntables and the parts are rare and scarce it just doesn't make all that much sense to me. I can think of a bunch of Brand Spankin new gear to purchase for that $1200.

Every time I turn around every Big Name Producer or DJ doing a Live Festival or Big Room is on 1200's. It's like they are scarce but there not. Everyone has them but me. LOL It just seems that way anyway. Trust me, I will live. Love me some Vestax 3000's and the Numark TTX series. Will be interesting to see what 2015 an beyond has in store for us. Imagine dropping that 1200 on vintage turntables and the futuristic shit is right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Difficult View Post
    One word... INSANITY! Not sure what foreign site or language that is in but all I saw was 2090 C and if that represents 2 Grand, that hurts like a Mutha. Ouch!!!

I guess if your Donald Trump, Lebron James, or Roger Federer that price tag isn't an issue. For a regular lad like me, I will feel this pain for years to come. LOL

2090 euros so it about 2.6 grands in dollars

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Difficult View Post
    2090 euros so it about 2.6 grands in dollars
    Oh Hell No! I'll Holla at Jazzy Jeff first and ask him if he wants to rent me one of his 50 pair. LOL

A patent lasts for 25 years, Technics were first introduced I believe 79, patent probably earlier. I heard once that the patent for the direct drive motor (by far the most important part) expired in the mid 90s, leading to the Vestax direct drive turntables. Is this true? I'm not sure seems credible though. So the basis of that direct drive motor has probably been implemented for some time, but improved. They have more torque now. Also, there are similair turntables with less torque but those also skimp on other parts such as build quality and tonearms.
    Anyway long debate has been had whether or not the new pioneer turntable uses Technics parts and tooling, but it probably doesn't. The motor and arm are most certainly super-OEM products. Not that that's bad, I think that design has proven itself by now. In terms of looks it is the turntable closes to the Technics.
    'George Clinton meeting Kraftwerk in an elevator'

Quote Originally Posted by MixStatic99 View Post

Thank you for your reply. Well, this will be interesting to see if Panasonic resurrects the 1200. The last couple of years, people have been selling theres for a small gold mind. Ebay, Craigslist, and where ever else, there all jacked up to double and triple the price. Figure, I went to Guitar Center the other day and they have Mk2's that are 15 to 20 years old being sold for $600 bucks. WTF? I'd love to get my hands on another set but if I'm going to drop $1200 on a set of abused turntables and the parts are rare and scarce it just doesn't make all that much sense to me. I can think of a bunch of Brand Spankin new gear to purchase for that $1200.

Every time I turn around every Big Name Producer or DJ doing a Live Festival or Big Room is on 1200's. It's like they are scarce but there not. Everyone has them but me. LOL It just seems that way anyway. Trust me, I will live. Love me some Vestax 3000's and the Numark TTX series. Will be interesting to see what 2015 an beyond has in store for us. Imagine dropping that 1200 on vintage turntables and the futuristic shit is right around the corner.
    I haven't found the pricing too crazy on them to be honest, second hand at least. A quick look through the local classifieds at any point shows loads of sets of 1200s/1210s for sale over here. Yes they do command a premium over say second-hand Vestax decks etc, but with that many Technics for sale at any one point there is going to be a limit how much people can charge.

You have to ignore the whole "these have been discontinued so grab a pair before they all disappear" nonsense that you see in most adds as a means to justify the crazy prices people are asking- there are simply millions of Technics in circulation, and always people wanting to sell. They are also easily refurbished, so even completely knackered decks are getting completely overhauled and put back in circulation keeping the numbers up. Also remember that the advertised price on second hand adds is rarely what they go for.

Yes if you want to buy a 'new' unopened pair of Technics then you will pay a sky high price. But why bother when there are so many out there on the second hand market. I actually purchased mine separately and about a year apart- and despite the fact that on both occasions I was looking for just a single table (much harder than buying a pair), I had the choice of 7 or 8 different sellers within a 5 mile radius.

After going and looking at several the ones I purchased were in fantastic condition and I ended up paying effectively half what they had cost the owners when new, which I thought was ok considering the condition. The equivalent of around $800 for the pair.

Considering the premium we seem to pay on almost all DJ gear here in the UK verses the US I can't believe it would be any more expensive than that to pick up a decent pair over there?

As for your comment about the futuristic shit, it is arguably already here- check out the Reloop RP8000 with built in midi buttons/encoders.

As others have said, the Super OEMs are a fantastic alternative to the Technics and give you various features that may or may not appeal such as higher torque, wider pitch range, reverse, start/stop time adjust, straight tone arms (on some) etc. The biggest thing for me being removable RCA leads.

I would be looking at the Reloop RP7000/8000 or the Stanton ST/STR150 personally. Or the Vestax PDX3000 for the non-super OEM option (I also have a pair of PDX2000mk2s and I love them!). The Pioneer is another Super OEM but considering the price premium you pay verses all the other Super OEMs I would personally have a hard time justifying it.