Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 Deck Mixing

It will always drift. You just need to keep on top of it and don't let it drift to a level to which it is audible to the general public.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Here's my quick try at 4 deck mixing.... any thoughts?
    Try recording at a higher volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrspyaman View Post
    Try recording at a higher volume?
    Yes I'm fully aware that the sound quality/volume is what it is, but it's a compromise between the mixer output and the ambience (to prove it's real). If I crank up the monitors a) my neighbours wouldn't like it and b) you wouldn't be able to hear the play/cue button clicks and headphone monitoring.

Anyway, thanks for the input, it'd be nice to make a more commercially appealing version with multiple cameras/angles but unfortunately I'm an aspiring DJ and a producer, not a movie director. However, I do have a friend who does these things but time will tell...

Efinque, gimme some details about your whole setup going on there. Looks pretty sick man.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Technician View Post
    Efinque, gimme some details about your whole setup going on there. Looks pretty sick man.
    The console is designed from scratch in CAD and built by hand back in high school in 2007. The front section has two 7U spaces at approximately 40 degree angle and the top shelf is 1,5m wide (that's approx. 5 feet) and 45cm (1,5ft) deep.

The left rack holds an 8ch Formula Sound PM-90 mixer (it's modular and the channel modules are fixed to either phono or line, so I had to configure the layout to suit my style). On the top shelf there are two CDJ-800's and two Reloop RP-5000M3D turntables. I used to run Traktor Scratch/Audio timecodes on the turntables before getting the CDJ's. When I'm playing a gig I have a Mackie D.4 (Firewire) which is Traktor compatible, and the CDJ's of course.

The console houses the full CDJ/turntable/FS PM90 setup at the moment but I recently added a Novation Nocturn 25-keyboard and a Macbook running Ableton Live to trigger effects and loops on a separate channel (for monitoring purposes). I use Ableton's nudge/tempo buttons to beatmatch the sequence with the rest of the mix (a rather traditional approach). With todays technology I could sync everything with MIDI, but I can't afford a full MIDI setup.

That is a sick setup. Also an expensive setup haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Technician View Post
    That is a sick setup. Also an expensive setup haha.
    Yeah well, I hate to admit it's outdated in every way possible. I have to burn duplicate CDs and keeping up with the latest tunes is a hassle. Not a problem with timecodes, but they can be a PITA sometimes. When it comes to stability, functionality and modularity the setup shines though

Get Traktor or Serato. Makes things a lot easier. Well thats if you're not against using that. Before I owned Traktor, I was burning new CDs every time I made a mix(I have a 4 deck set up as well).

I need to clear some space and save money for another setup I guess.. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Xone 4D with suitable controller(s) or CDJ's. Maybe in the near future