Thread: What program do u use to edit words out of songs

What program do u use to edit words out of songs

I'm tired of not being able 2 play certain songs when I dj high school homecomings and proms. Some of the edited versions of songs the powers to be above me (principle etc) still find some clean versions of songs too racey.

Being that said, does anyone edit there own songs? If do what program do u use and how do u do it?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    www.tc-sounds.com

It can't be done, unless you have access to the individual elements (instrumental and acapella).
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

I figured that but can u put a sounds in place of it, like a drum beat, a horn noise...anything to bleep that word out...I know I'm drawing straws here lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    www.tc-sounds.com

Banned
    You can do it in any DAW, preferably a multi-track DAW like Adobe Audition or Audacity (the latter is free). One common way to do it is to make a split either side of the word so that it's a separate block of audio, then reverse just that block so that only that word plays backwards. That works OK if there's just the odd single word you want to censor.

Another way to do it, if you don't have an instrumental, is to see if there's a bar in the full version of the track that has no singing/rapping over it, then you can cut that out (duplicate it) and line it up with the bar that has the bad word in it, so that both are perfectly in line, lock both in place, then split either side of the bad word - and in the exact same place in the bar of instrumental you lined up - then remove the bad word and replace it with the section of instrumental you cut out, also removing the unnecessary bits of the instrumental. That method can work the best, as when done right (assuming you have a good bar of instrumental to use) it can make it sound pretty seamless, like just the word has been removed from the vocal track.

A third way is to mask the sounds with beeps or horns or whatever, so again, you would cut either side of the word so it's a block of audio on its own, then you'd lower the volume of that block while placing your masking sample on top of it.

The final way is to literally just cut the words out so you have gaps in the audio. I've heard DJs do that live on the radio by closing and opening the fader, although it's not the way I would choose to do it.
    Last edited by Sigma; 10-03-2014 at 10:23 AM.

The final way is to literally just cut the words out so you have gaps in the audio. I've heard DJs do that live on the radio by closing and opening the fader, although it's not the way I would choose to do it.

difficult! quite easy to mess up or forget.

Banned
    I forgot another way that can sound OK. You cut the word out, then apply an effect to the previous word. I made a quick example: -

http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/97260897/file.html

In the original, he says "still kickin' that shit", but I cut out "shit" and added some echo to "that". Kinda sounds like something a DJ might do live, but I wouldn't over-use this method in the same track.

The DDJSX (and I am sure other similar pioneer gear) has a 'censor' button which does a quick reverse effect and then returning to the track to normal. Also like @TheRabbitMonk said, it will be difficult to remember this when you are on stage in order to hit the censor button or filter it out yourself life.

If you are spinning relatively popular tracks, search for the clean edits and just use those. Or you can go out of your way and make your own edits in Audacity/ableton.

Cleans are clean. I'm going to take a guess here, but I'll bet what the principal is objecting to is not language but subject matter and inference even with explicit words garbled or swapped.

To use two really hot current hip-hop tracks as examples, the clean version "Don't Tell 'Em" would almost certainly get a pass. But no amount of scrubbing is going to get something like "Hot Boy" past scrutiny.

When it comes to tracks like "Hot Boy", "My Hitta", and "Who Do You Love" I'm careful with them even as a club DJ. Sometimes you've just got to live with restrictions.

Mods please research the post before mine, seems like it could be a spammer or unwelcome member, thanks :-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    www.tc-sounds.com

You can click on the triangle icon to report stuff directly / describe the issue.