Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Turntable feedback last night.

Help: Turntable feedback last night.

I need to figure out a fix guys. Last night I did a show on a new stage at the club I play once a month and there were massive sub feedback issues. Older house and disco tracks weren't so bad but newer tracks I had to really turn down the bass. Any cheap fixes? I still have to speak to the owner about a solution. Otherwise I might just go back to DJing behind the bar like before. The bar is pretty sturdy and not right next to the speakers.

I've read/seen paving stones used. Are those expensive to get? I can't afford to get those Isonoes.

I'm on SL1200s by the way. No needle skipping; It was just feedback issues.

Thanks guys.

i had a problem like that before, i found the choice of needles to be a big factor. i found the standard cartridge with a 'shure 97xe' needle to have almost no feedback whilst the 'stanton' concorde type cartridge which i also had, was unusable in this situation.

another option is to make sure you have a good heavy table.

other members may have more to add

The next best cheapest instant trick: halves of tennis balls. Like this

It might not have been the turntables fault, might have been the way the speakers were set up to go through the main board
    I had the same problem at a club I do, setting the lows on the clubs board to "shelf" fixed the problem

the bar i work at used to have subs that were so bassy it cut my controllers signal from my laptop and actually ruined the built in sound card, its a pain

paving slabs are around £5 each from builders merchants so not expensive at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    It's only because features like auto-sync have opened the doors for a bunch of lazy cunts to buy some gear and think they're a DJ a week later that we go round and round in circles with this same topic.

A very strong rumble component can overload the phono preamps. A stereo phono cartridge is more susceptible to this. If the venue is mono only, the earlier in the electronic chain the signal is converted to mono, the better for the electronics. Ideally this would be right at the output of the turntables (electrically making it seem as if you are using a mono cartridge).

That's probably why DJ Matt noticed a difference between the cartridges - some are much more susceptible to this vertical movement of the stylus.
    Last edited by Hanginon; 09-20-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks guys. I'll look into it. The owner suggested I come in and do a test. He's very accommo****** so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    The next best cheapest instant trick: halves of tennis balls. Like this

That would make me a bit nervous trusting my gear on 2 tennis balls. I guess if it works, it works!

^^

I've seen that work, I've also seen clothes (with a board on top) used in extremis.

make sure your mixer has a clean power feed, i used to have mine plugged into a dual plug adapter and it caused alot of feedback. i now have my decks on the adapter and my mixer on its own plug and it seems better.