Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Christian' weddings...

I did a fun Christian music wedding last year. Was cool. I'll get you some artists name later after my gig tonite.
    - jj -

http://db.tt/CoDcphWE

That should link you to a dropbox file of what the Christian bride gave me for a playlist last year. It's ugly but the info is there.

You'll see lotta regular artists in there too that are "ok" for Christian people.

The entire reception were members of her church/sunday school class, and even the preacher gave his thumbs up on the music during the reception. So these should be good
    - jj -

The one wedding I have done so far was a Christian wedding. In fact the bride and groom met while doing missionary work in Africa and both families went to the same church. I wasn't told I had to play only Christian music but was told, no rap, no profanity and no overt sexual references.

They also provided a lengthy list of songs as suggestions and many of them were songs I would have excluded for being too vulgar for what was requested. After further consultation, I found they were less conservative about it than I thought. I think it really boils down to getting to know their particular triggers...not all Christians in a single congregation agree on what is acceptable, let alone across denominations. I know they don't have a denomination per se, but they do have a culture.

Oddly enough, the only time I've been reprimanded for an inappropriate song, it was at a freethought event. I had been supplied a CD from one of the organizers. I was busy with sound stuff while it was playing and wasn't listening to lyrics. One of the other organizers came over in a rage wanting to know why I was playing a Christian song. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Okay so I just their paperwork... Sexy and I Know It... Party Rock... lots of Country... No Christian stuff listed. Maybe this will just be a normal gig.

Tree63
    MercyMe
    Jesus Culture
    Hillsong United
    Casting Crowns

^--- Just some of the many Christian bands.
    Quentin Legend
    Twitter: @Quentin_Legend
    Business: Coming soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post
    Okay so I just their paperwork... Sexy and I Know It... Party Rock... lots of Country... No Christian stuff listed. Maybe this will just be a normal gig.
    That makes it alot easier.. Glad it worked out. Good luck
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Sounds to me like you don't know much about Christian music.
    There are literally a slew of bands in the mainstream right now that you probably don't even know are Christian. Plus, Christian market has it's own whole selection of pop which is just like the stuff you hear on the radio, only less vulgar and more faith based lyrics.
    While I may not be an expert in the matter of faith/worship/Christian music... I am familiar with most popular forms of it, especially the ones played on Christian radio (which is what more people are looking for when they ask for Christian music). I also have a several hundred faith songs in my database for when requests come. And I stand by my belief that most of it is not good for dancing... well except maybe the slower songs.

But to be fair, I have never done a reception inside a church. Maybe they will all be climbing the pews and praising the Holy Ghost because they feel the spirit? I'd be interested to see a short video from this gig with people dancing to an upbeat Christian song inside a Church... I will denounce my opinion and be swayed to your views.

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post
    SEXY AND I KNOW IT in a church? LoL! "I've got PASSION (of the Christ) IN MY PANTS AND I AINT AFRAID TO SHOW IT!"

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyL View Post
    SEXY AND I KNOW IT in a church? LoL! "I've got PASSION (of the Christ) IN MY PANTS AND I AINT AFRAID TO SHOW IT!"
    Not only that but she wants me to play it for the intro of the Ring Bearer and Flower Girl. Ages 3 and 9.

I told her the blessing better be good and forgive us all.

There are no pews in the church. There is a stage. It is a nondenominational community church... Its a multipurpose space.

My daughter loves that song (she is 4). We make her say "Im Cutie And I Know It" instead when she sings it. On the other hand, my 6 yr old nephew is a bit of a hell raiser and sings "sexy and I know it" while pulling up his shirt and humping the air. His parents allow it.

Here is the list of christian wedding songs:

By Heart, By Soul – Avalon
    You’ve Got Me – Steven Curtis Chapman
    Give Me Forever ( I Do ) – John Tesh
    Love Divine – Phil Keaggy
    Love I Know, The – Joel Hanson
    If That’s What It Takes – Clay Crosse
    Jesus Let Us Come To Know You – Michael Card
    I’m Committed To You – Steve Camp
    Holding Hands – Steve Green

Anything Newsboys is pretty high energy and good for a dance. The lyrics of God Gave Me You by Dave Barnes is what you are looking for!