Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Christian' weddings...

'Christian' weddings...

Non-denominational Christians... The ones that like to sing and dance at mass. They seem to be in to Christian Rock and stuff...

I do not follow Christian pop or rock. Casting Crowns comes to mind. Also I think Skillet. I get Contemporary Christian on my Promo Only, but wouldn't even know where to begin.

What is popular? Is there any good dance stuff?

This wedding reception is actually in the church. (Not a 'church hall', it's in the actual church). It is a dry wedding (go figure), and they want some Christian music.

I am not looking forward to it. As a matter of fact, God might smite me down before I even push play.

Where's Neonpachyderm?

I have until May.

There is a top 22 for Christian music every weekend. It has quite a bit of dance on it that will work well. There is actually quite a few options in all genres in Christian music.
    http://www.topchristianhits.org/christian_top_40.html

Christian music can span all genres as well (more of a sub genres). One of the best things you can do is to find out what the bride and groom like. Get some of their favorite artists. That will help you get a good start. Some people are Skillet, Red, Pillar type fans, while others are Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Michael W. Smith type fans. Playing Skillet "Monster" may not be the cup of tea they are looking for. Once you have a basis on what they are looking for, it becomes easier to put it all together. This will help since they only want "some", by asking you can get what they want without having to go overboard into a new genre that you are not expecting to keep up in. If they give you some artists, then you can see what the top songs are by that artist currently by going to Amazon music and search by artist and then order by most popular.

Thats a tough gig! Good luck, I would have passed. Hope you pull it off well. I just got an email for a 93rd birthday and they wanted a DJ to play 30,40,50's .... which I do not listen to or will never get.... needed to pass that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post
    Non-denominational Christians... The ones that like to sing and dance at mass. They seem to be in to Christian Rock and stuff...

I do not follow Christian pop or rock. Casting Crowns comes to mind. Also I think Skillet. I get Contemporary Christian on my Promo Only, but wouldn't even know where to begin.

What is popular? Is there any good dance stuff?

This wedding reception is actually in the church. (Not a 'church hall', it's in the actual church). It is a dry wedding (go figure), and they want some Christian music.

I am not looking forward to it. As a matter of fact, God might smite me down before I even push play.

Where's Neonpachyderm?

I have until May.
    I find 99% of faith based music intolerable, much less dance-able. There have been off-shoot Christian bands in the past that have gone main stream, like P.O.D. and Creed... but still... can you dance to that music?

Non-denominational is basically saying the don't belong to any specific sub group within Christianity. So they are not Catholic or Protestant, for example, which might work in your favor. A lot of churches in my area that promote themselves as non-denominational are the "younger" churches. The kind that attend Christian Rock concerts and like to fancy themselves to be a little more edgy than the "old folks" church. So maybe they will give you some breathing room?

I might suggest you recommend some of the best older style dance songs from the Top 200, like SHOUT and STAYIN ALIVE. This would appeal to all ages and still fall in to the wholesome category they might want in a church.... unless there is some kind of rule that ONLY Christian music can be played. If so, GOOD LUCK!

HAVE A NICE DAY!

(sorry, I couldn't resist.. who misses Dennis? lol)

I would be way too tempted to play songs like this:

Click here for mobile viewing.

I used to run sound for a a local church and they had like un under 28's service and a lot of the music was sorced from Hillsong/Hillsong United.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyL View Post
    I find 99% of faith based music intolerable, much less dance-able. There have been off-shoot Christian bands in the past that have gone main stream, like P.O.D. and Creed... but still... can you dance to that music?
    Sounds to me like you don't know much about Christian music.
    There are literally a slew of bands in the mainstream right now that you probably don't even know are Christian. Plus, Christian market has it's own whole selection of pop which is just like the stuff you hear on the radio, only less vulgar and more faith based lyrics.

Now that I'm not on my phone:
    There is literally a ton of Christian music to choose from with artists of all types of genres, so they really need to be much more specific on what they are looking for. As Silver said, you could play some Skillet because they are very well known, but the problem is that they are hard rock, so playing hard rock for a group of people who want something more pop or contemporary would not be a good choice.

I would ask what they are looking for and if they are wanting people to actually dance. I've actually seen receptions that want nothing but praise and worship music like Hillsong played and others that want classic/clean mainstream music played. Saying "Christian" is way too broad because the industry is filled with all genres just like the mainstream.

Here are some sites to help find what's hot right now:
    http://www.weekend22.com/
    http://www.20thecountdownmagazine.com/
    http://www.billboard.com/charts/chri...hristian-songs
    http://www.topchristianhits.org/christian_top_40.html

For older stuff... you can't go wrong really with stuff like Rebecca St. James, Sixpence None The Richer, Tree63, Newsboys, Jars of Clay, Jeremy Camp, DC Talk (Jesus Freak is a good way to win most charismatic crows over), Casting Crowns, Third Day, Jeremy Camp, Todd Agnew, Chris Tomlin, MercyMe, The Afters, etc.

I agree with a lot of what mystic said right there. Every time I come across this subject of clients wanting Christian music, one song comes to mind... "If I Could Only Imagine" By MercyMe. It has been popular for the last few years with pop & Christian events. While it was VERY popular when it came out, it is still popular & usually requested in these type sets.

But I would ask the client for suggestions & see if they do want dance music or just some "music". While I don't consider "If I Could Only Imagine" to be a dance-able song, it does get requested for these sets.
    Also, I have found that most clients who tell you they want Christian music for their event, most tell me that as a basis for their music but are not hard core with it & do want some pop etc music mixed in for dancing. So, I would make it a point to ask if their Christian music is for the entire gig or is it just a basic format. If just basic, what other genre's are they wanting.

For what its worth, I too, will turn down gigs that are strictly Christian music as I don't know enough about it. But if they want a mix, I will do my best to accommodate them but with their help & I let them know that.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

My sister is a DJ for a Christian Radio Station, she does the week day morning shows. I'll ask her and have her make us a list off the top of her head.