Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I just want a laptop for mixing and making music

Probably both. My primary use would be to make my own music using mainly a DAW but I'll probably get a midi keyboard and use that for melodies. However, my friend also has started mixing songs together and I think that would be pretty cool to do as well. Also, I *might* want to eventually use this laptop to do shows, but that's so far down the road and I might not want to do that as well, I haven't really decided.

I see you're from Denver, pretty cool man! Have you done live sets, and played at Beta before? Even though I'm from Colorado Springs, I've been up there probably 10+ times.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexivero View Post
    Probably both. My primary use would be to make my own music using mainly a DAW but I'll probably get a midi keyboard and use that for melodies. However, my friend also has started mixing songs together and I think that would be pretty cool to do as well. Also, I *might* want to eventually use this laptop to do shows, but that's so far down the road and I might not want to do that as well, I haven't really decided.

I see you're from Denver, pretty cool man! Have you done live sets, and played at Beta before? Even though I'm from Colorado Springs, I've been up there probably 10+ times.
    Well if your sample based you need ample ram. If your mainly using synths and such, then processing power is what you need to focus on. Also there is a HUGE difference in the actual processing power of an MQ vs. a U series processor, in benchmarks the U series comes in at half of the power of an MQ, i.e. a 4700MQ comes in ~7900 in cpumark, where as the 4500U comes in at 3800, so if it all possible go for an MQ if your looking at intel. I wont say benchmarks are everything, but coming in double definitely shows a large difference no matter how you use it. You wont get power savings, but for production usage who cares about power usage, you need the processing power. You can still find some deals on ones, like my local microcenter has 2 4700MQ based laptops for ~600$

I dont play out any more, used to do house parties and what not back in college and a few around here, but now I only go out when either a friend is playing or its someone I specifically want to see, which sadly rarely happens at beta anymore. Definitely dropped off over the past couple years.

Thanks for that, I'll be on the lookoup for an MQ processor then. If anybody has any more advice, feel free to chime in. When I need advice for big purchases, I just jot down all the things people say on a piece of paper and take it with me to the stores, so the more stuff I have to go off of the better.

Ah, yeah I don't really know most of the people when we go either. My main thing is actually street dance; my friend is the one who's seriously trying to become a DJ. So he's in the know a lot more than me when it comes to music, and I'm just happy to have a decent beat to get down to. Might go and see Zomboy though, that's December 26.