In 1987, I started what was to become a six-year run, compiling and mixing the best in House music tracks for DMC. These 'Best of the Best', 20 minute specials were released on the December 'end-of-year' DMC vinyl album (although during the previous 12 months, other 'House' special mini-mixes were also done). Having recently remastered the entire collection with today's audio technology, they sound even more vibrant and relevant now - listen to the new sonically enhanced mixes below, with a few notes to give you more background on the how's and why's behind the series.

Think back then to the studio technology available in 1987 - no (realistically affordable) hard disc computer recording, DJ 'sync' button for track tempo's or effects plug-ins etc. The track listing was blended of course using classic vinyl mixing techniques, but, as featured in most mixes, it was the 'intro' that demanded most creative and technical work. In just a few seconds, audio snippets, rhythms & acapella's from the main mix (and/or interesting parts from other tracks, film or TV dialogue even) would announce the forthcoming sequence. These audio soundbites would be carefully assembled into an Akai (S900/S1000) sampler then arranged and triggered as needed - from there, launching into the first vinyl reality of the first tune in the mix.

I'd usually focus on the main riff or hook of the tune playing, with the emphasis (especially on the 'end-of-year, 20 minute epic's) being on getting in and out out that track as fast as possible - whilst still maintaining enough of a reference to it. Each section, plus the actual live vinyl mix between tracks, was recorded onto reel-to-reel tape, running at 15 i.p.s. (inches per second). Thereafter, using techniques described in an earlier blog post, I'd add mix transitions, track sections and sometimes some 'bullet-editing' too.

Listening back to these megamixes, now 25 years or so ago with regards to studio technology and techniques, I feel they still sound fresh. Maybe it's the amount of dedication and 'TLC' that went into the original sets - maybe it's the pure energy flow and passion I had at that time of my life? ...who knows - I reckon I'd find them difficult to wholly re-create with even today's computer technology. Anyway, below are the newly remastered 2014 versions - for each one, I've added a few notes about that particular mix and where possible (and that is a 'work-in-progress'), a tracklist of the whole mix (to be added to when more info comes in) - Enjoy!
http://www.djdakeyne.com/diary-from-...use-remastered

You can check out the remastered mixes on SoundCloud: -