Today, not only did I finally finish up "A Mixed Bag of Classic House 3," but I also completed the third installment of my "Downtempo Groove Journey" series. I'm pretty sure that I hadn't uploaded a chillout set to Mixcloud in over two years, but I had been itching to do one for a while, so this morning at about 2:00, I fortified myself with a glass of pinot noir and put this together:

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

As with the earlier "Downtempo Groove Journeys," I connected the tracks but I didn't beatmatch. It's more of a quickly-segued collective of great, relaxing stuff instead of a demonstration of mixing skill.

The tracks were played mainly from CDs, with two (the Chrysta Bell and the Portishead) played from vinyl. I've gotta say, despite the mix's brevity, I'm really pleased with the contents:

1. Chrysta Bell - "Real Love."
  2. Crustation - "Purple."
  3. Martina Topley-Bird - "I Only Have Eyes for You."
  4. Portishead - "Only You."
  5. Daughter Darling - "Let Me Speak."
  6. Lendi Vexer - "A Slow Dripping in My Brain."
  7. The Dining Rooms - "Le Crépuscule du Matin."
  8. Echostream - "Simplify."
  9. Antiquark - "Aldilà."
  10. Mirror + Dave Gahan - "Nostaglia."
  11. Spy - "Where the Day Takes You."

There was some post-production applied, mainly to even out some levels issues and add in DJ drops at the beginning and end.

A few of the high points include the churning, guitar-driven "Real Love," performed by the incredible Chrysta Bell and produced by David Lynch, the masterful cover of the classic "I Only Have Eyes for You" by Marina Topley-Bird (often known for her work with Massive Attack and Tricky), the Moscow Coup Attempt's remix of "Aldilà" by Antiquark, and "Nostalgia," the touching collaboration between Mirror and Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan.

It's not a set for everybody, but if you like the more laid-back, chilled-out side of music now and then, hopefully you'll find this worth a listen. I look forward to your feedback.

[The first two "Downtempo Groove Journeys" can also be heard here and here.]