Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary mixer experts

Rotary mixer experts

I've always wanted a rotary mixer, I've played out one time each on a urei, bozak, and rane
    Just mentioned last week in another thread that I'd probably get a Rane MP2015 with the XP2016 expansion, it's not really the unit I'd want but they are easy to find and I could get one at a good price

Wondering if there are any experts on this board that can walk me through the different options and give me a price guide (I got the money to drop a few grand but I'd need to be convinced)

Got 2 concerns, I know a lot of rotary mixers don't have a level meter and if they do it's usually master only
    (I know rane makes a rack mount VU meter for that but it kinda messes up the aesthetic, would rather have it built in, also I'm a level nazi fyi so meters are a must)

The other issue is, I'd want fx sends with proper intuitive control, having a control for each channel would be dope but I'd take master only just as long as it's easy to incorporate into my mixing
    (got a rodec sherman restyler analog filter unit, think it'd look bad ass paired with a rotary)

I'm setting up a play date with a local collector who has a urei 1620 and a bozak and he's also owned a few Rane's and an E&S that he sold off
    So I should be able to get some good info picking his brain, he's a wicked rotary snob, straight off the bat he's telling me not to bother with the rane

But any info I can get would be appreciated
    Where to buy, what I should expect to pay, various mods and options for each unit, do any have built in filters, what are the overall positives and negatives for each unit, etc;
    thanks

ETA- I own a standard empath not interested in the rotary version, I want something completely different

Not much help, but I've been looking along the same lines and pretty much settled on the Enpath Rotary. Do you not like your fader Empath? Or just keen for something different (having both would be weird)?
    Constantly changing equipment.
    http://www.mixcloud.com/littlepanda/

Personally, I haven't got any experience with rotaries other than lusting after them, for me it would be the E&S as a first pick followed by the Condesa Carmen.

But it does depend on the features you want, the E&S probably has the most features, and fits your requirements the most, though I think there is a long waiting list on it.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / Shure M35S / A&H Xone:22 / Urbanears Zinken
    Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl / KRK RP5 G2
    www.soundcloud.com/cecil-artfuldivision

@Panda

No I love my empath (can't recommend it enough), but the empath is a hybrid battle mixer and club mixer and the rotary empath is also a hybrid, if I was gonna get another mixer I'd want it to be very different
    I'm looking for a completely foreign experience mixing records which I don't think the rotary empath will deliver

But yeah good luck with the empath, the rotary snob I was talking about mentioned he had the rotary version and sold it off and he's kicking himself for it
    It's a shame that rane only makes serato mixers with 50 candy colored buttons all over the friggen place, the empath should have never been discontinued, it's everything I'd want in a mixer
    I'd tweak a few things on it, but it's as close to perfection for my tastes compared to anything else out there

In the mid 90's I loved playing out in clubs with a console Rane and when they came out with the 54 I picked it up without a thought, the 600 came out around the same time and you had a 50/50 shot between seeing the 54 or the 600 when you played out
    The fx on the 600 were fun to play around with but they sounded like shit and everything else on that unit was complete shit too, I was dumbfounded by its popularity
    I still see people playing on and buying and selling 600's to this day, I just don't get it, the 900 is a lot better but the eq's still suck, I hate pioneer

Had an old school dj come down for my night, he's partially blind from a stroke, he insisted on playing on a 600 cuz he doesn't need to see to use it, I refused lol
    I set up big spotlights on the decks for him, but I was like you are playing on the rane, the 600 has no place here (I really hate that POS it's right up there with Sony V700 headphones)

I think it's over a yr and over 2k for an E&S, my rotary snob friend mentioned a rumor that Jerome from E&S was gonna stop making them (guess it's too much for him, that's why he's so backed up)

Quote Originally Posted by ksound View Post
    I think it's over a yr and over 2k for an E&S, my rotary snob friend mentioned a rumor that Jerome from E&S was gonna stop making them (guess it's too much for him, that's why he's so backed up)
    Could always try pick up an Allen & Heath V6, those really look the nuts.

The Condesa Carmen is worth checking, 4 channels and fx loop on the master.

But depends whether you want rackmount or tabletop.

rackmount or tabletop doesn't matter, my back is messed up so I set things up high and I'm good at woodworking
    would have to build something either way to get the mixer up to the same height

It's one thing to read specs and reviews, what I'm really after is personal experience, I'd love to get my hands on a few different units to try out personally (it's a lot of money to be taking a shot in the dark)
    but there is more I don't know than know with these things
    like the v6 has an optional valve card (is it worth it?)
    never saw anyone on here mention the alpha rotary from japan (how does that compare?)

don't think anyone on here is as nerdy about rotaries as my friend (he even knows the manufacturers of the pan pots used in various rotaries), so he's my best bet
    but any info would be a great help (especially hands on experience)

If you want info and perosnal experience on roataries, this is not the forum for it I dont think. I'd head over http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I'm still a few months away from this purchase, it'll probably be my Christmas present to myself
    so I'd like to decide by Oct and spend the next 2 months hunting, so no rush

don't like joining too many forums, I pick a place and call it home, but already came to the conclusion that I might have to hunt down some forums for analog gearheads
    also if there is a member here who doesn't post often but knows a lot about rotaries I'd appreciate a name drop so I can pm them
    it's a pretty niche area of expertise so what I really need is a hobbyist

I have been using rotary mixers since the 70's. Mainly Bozaks and Urei's 1620. I recently had my old Bozak restored by Buzzy Beck. He did an incredible job and the mixer looks and works like brand new. Buzzy Beck is one of the engineers that worked at Bozak. He now just rebuilds Bozaks on the side. If you find an original Bozak, he can rebuild it for you. If you don't have one, he can build you a brand new Bozak from original parts. This is what I would do if I was you. He told me he has enough original parts to build 35 more brand new mixers. He sells them for around $2000, which is a steal for a brand new Bozak. The ones he builds are a carbon copy of the original design, except he uses the black alps pots, like the one the original Urei 1620 has. Those new portable rotary mixers all use the smaller blue alps pots which are not as good as the black ones, and those mixers cost just as much, if not more than what he charges. The Bozak is the top of the food chain in rotary mixers and they will just keep increasing in value, especially those rebuilt by Buzzy. If you got two grand to spend on a mixer, I suggest you contact Buzzy and have him build you one from scratch. Although I supplied him with my old Bozak, he basically built me a brand new one. The only thing he used from my old one was the main circuit board, and the case. Everything else is brand new, and it only took him a week to do it. I have posted pictures of mine before, so do a search on this forum for the pictures. If you want his contact info, let me know.