Thread: New to DJ'ing

New to DJ'ing

Hi i have a massive interest in EDM of all genres and due to me becoming more an more interested in the DJ world I really want to learn to create my own music and also to learn DJ'ing and own my very own set of decks! i would greatly appreciate it if users could give me there opinion on where to start in relation to learning at home through the internet or lessons, also if theres a great software that is perfect for beginers but can also benefit me in the future ! Thanks Adam

Making your own music is a very different process from DJing other peoples music. So I really suggest you choose to focus on one or the other to start.

As far as software etc, there is really only one software package that can be used for DJing purposes as well as for creating music.. and that is Ableton Live. But really very few DJs actually DJ on Ableton.. it is more for producing your own music and for producers who perform their music live.

Then there are some others that are strictly for producing.

For DJing, the top software packages are Serato DJ / Serato Itch or Traktor.

Banned
    Welcome to the forum man!

For DJing specifically, I think you need to start by deciding what category of equipment you want to use. Broadly speaking, these are the categories: -

1. A controller and software.
    2. CDJs and a mixer (with or without a DVS).
    3. Turntables and a mixer (with or without a DVS).

If you don't know what a DVS is, it's a "digital vinyl system" that allows you to play digital music from a laptop via time-coded CDs or records.

Once you've made that decision - which can be a tough one to make - then you need to work out what kind of budget you're working with and what exactly you need. You might have a laptop, sound system and headphones that are good enough to use for DJing already, for instance. Once you know your budget and what it is that you need, you can ask for advice on what to buy.

As for learning to DJ, I would suggest reading the pinned threads at the top of this section, including 2 that I wrote: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...to-DJing-right
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...-DJing-(guides!)

There are some good guides on YouTube from people like Ellaskins too.

I think the main thing is to have a solid understanding of the theory, then just get down to the business of practicing. There are a lot of bad guides out there that don't explain the theory of DJing all that well - I think my "4 elements" guides that I linked you to are pretty good (if I do say so myself, lol).

I hope that helps you a little. I'm not really into production, so I wouldn't know what to recommend in that respect.

New to Dj'ing

Thanks for your opinions ! really appreciated and helpfull! Im thinking of giving Traktor a go as I hear alot of good things about that software package and I inderstand what you mean in regards to which set of equipment to start with but would you recomend starting on software and then purchasing a contoller over CDJ's ?

Banned
    I would recommend that people purchase gear based on this order of priority: -

1. What feels right to you (if anything). For example, a lot of people who buy turntables know that they don't want to DJ with anything else. Even though CDJs are more prevalent in clubs than Technics 1200s, they go with their heart instead of their head, which I think is a good thing to do personally.

2. What's going to be best for your future as a DJ. Right now, CDJs are the most common piece of equipment installed in clubs. Because there is no "industry standard" controller, if you buy a controller then you're almost certainly going to be taking that with you to bars/clubs when you DJ there - and that's if they allow it. Sometimes you may be forced to either DJ with CDJs or say no to the gig.

3. What you can afford. Some equipment is better than none. I would take a cheap controller over nothing, for sure. That said, if you have a regular income and can put some money aside each week, I would recommend saving up for some high end gear, rather than buying something cheap now. That's assuming it won't take you years to save up.

Money no object, got for a cdj set up 900nxs or 2000's nxs (as good as it gets but will cost you big bucks)
    If your budget is a little restricted go for a controller set up
    This will require a good laptop as well to run the program. Pioneer do a range of controllers (from starter set ups to the big boys toys) £200 for the sb all the way up to the sz which is £1600

I have the sx which is £800 and there is the sx2 coming out soon. A few extras added onto the original controller.

Speakers are important.
    For home/studio use I recommend a pair of rokit (the yellow cone is very distinctive )

But the pioneer range is built for serato use although you can use traktor as well.

Do a little research. Go and have a look/play

And don't forget about tts as well. Always an option

But it's really up to u and your financial capabilities lol
    Good luck

Thanks again ! and ill have a good budget to use nothing special but hopefully get me the equipment i need. Im to purchase a software package and start doing some research !