Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Analog vs Digital mixers.....????

Analog vs Digital mixers.....????

I am a little confused when it comes to the differences between analog and digital signals/sources and DJ mixers.

Technically...it would make more sense to use a mixer that processes and sends out a digital signal if you are using songs/files stored as digital right...???

Basically trying to see if USB flash drives on CDJ's can be paired up with any standard DJ mixer on the market regardless if they have analog/digital converters/processors in them.

Any differences in sound quality...???
    Last edited by DjBetta; 08-17-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Digital mixers can take in a analog signal (a turntable cartridge output) convert it to a digital signal so that it can be processed in the digital realm such as eq effects an the such. It can also take a digital output from a CD player bypassing the cd players digital to analog convertors. As for you second question if the cd player can play music stored on usb flash drives it will output the sound as analog so a analog mixer will work just fine.
    Sound quality is only as good as the source both analog or digital mixers fed with a good source will and can sound great.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

From your explanation, all mixers are compatible with all audio sources no matter what kind of internal AD/DA conversion they use right...???

So....it doesn't really matter what kind of DJ mixer you use......So......

Why is it than that manufacturers make such a "BIG DEAL" in their advertising for their mixers having the "potential" to process/output a digital signal and therefore making it a "great selection" for your "digital setup"....???

I don't get it =(

Digital mixers typically have less noise added as a result of mixing, but can only handle mixes up to 0dB. On the other hand, analog mixers allow mixing "in the red" sounding "warm" when they do.

For the DJ world, there's really little practical difference. In the production world, there's a world of difference - due to the sheer number of channels, EQ, effects, and bussing.

Keeping it simple, pick one and master it. If you're in the analog world, stick to analog. If your sources are primarily digital audio, stay in the digital domain.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Simple answer, analog sources can be played on digital mixers and digital sources can be played on analog mixers, it doesn't really matter

There is a more complex answer but that would involve explaining the difference between an analog waveform and artifacts from converting analog to digital, and recording practices of digitals 0db limitation and an analog hot mix and full saturation

But I would say if you have a high quality analog source there is a greater benefit to playing it on a high quality analog mixer, also I think high quality analog mixers have an advantage as far as build quality and components used (but the only digital mixers I've ever played on were pioneer 500-900 so I'm far from an expert on digital mixers and I dislike pioneer mixers)

Quote Originally Posted by ksound View Post
    Simple answer, analog sources can be played on digital mixers and digital sources can be played on analog mixers, it doesn't really matter

There is a more complex answer but that would involve explaining the difference between an analog waveform and artifacts from converting analog to digital, and recording practices of digitals 0db limitation and an analog hot mix and full saturation

But I would say if you have a high quality analog source there is a greater benefit to playing it on a high quality analog mixer, also I think high quality analog mixers have an advantage as far as build quality and components used (but the only digital mixers I've ever played on were pioneer 500-900 so I'm far from an expert on digital mixers and I dislike pioneer mixers)
    OK so....is it "safe" to say that:

ALL MIXERS (specifically DJ) have some kind of AD/DA converter inside of them regardless of manufacturer/model and therefore I need not worry.

Researching analog and digital sounds/audio soundwaves and sources right now as we speak. Just trying to get my head wrapped around the concepts and gain a basic understanding of how sound travels and the equipment needed to process/convert them as I really like to achieve optimal sound quality in my gigs and productions.

Thanks for the clear up.

No, only digital mixers would have ad/da converters (and that would only be if it had an internal soundcard not sure if every digital mixer has a converter built in)

1/4", xlr, and rca are all analog sources so both analog and digital mixers primarily use analog ins and outs
    The advantage of a digital mixer is that it can process digital ins and outs or convert an analog in to a digital out without going through a pc's soundcard
    Last edited by ksound; 08-18-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksound View Post
    No, only digital mixers would have ad/da converters (and that would only be if it had an internal soundcard not sure if every digital mixer has a converter built in)

1/4", xlr, and rca are all analog sources so both analog and digital mixers primarily use analog ins and outs
    The advantage of a digital mixer is that it can process digital ins and outs or convert an analog in to a digital out without going through a pc's soundcard

Every piece of digital audio equipment had a digital to analog convertor, mixers has both A to D D to A convertors.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

What you need to understand is where is the 'analog -> digital' and/or 'digital -> analog' conversion taking place? Yes, your source media matters. Also, if you use multiple source media types then you would need to accommodate each of them. There are products on the market that can accommodate and convert both signal types. It's best to avoid a lot of conversion. However, that is often unavoidable if a DJ is mixing and processing multiple media types.

Quote Originally Posted by DjBetta View Post
    From your explanation, all mixers are compatible with all audio sources
    Depends on the mixer. Some are designed to accept multiple media types while others are not. At this point in time some mixers accept a phono source, a line level source, and a digital source such as USB (IE it transmits bits before being converted into audio).

More than likely in such a scenario, the mixer is converting the digital source because it would have to in order to mix with the two analog signals in order to get a stereo out routed to an amplifier. OR, the two analog sources would need to be converted into digital bits so the resulting mixed signal could be sent as digital bits to some kind of DAW, digital mixer, digital processor, or etc.

What you should study is signal routing, busing, and where conversion would need to take place. Look at products after that. Also, figure out a way to minimize conversion in your entire set-up (media, mixing console, converters, processors, amplification).