Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into controllerism on here?

Anyone into controllerism on here?

Is anyone into controllerism (i.e. using pads on controllers for triggering cue/samples)? If so, what do you use?

I'm personally not into it, but with DJTT pushing this style and manufacturers bringing equipment out that caters to this style (i.e. Twitch, Midi Fighters, F1, etc.) I wonder how many are actually getting into controllerism?

-KLH

I personally don't like it either. It takes too much away from the Art of dj'ing. Pressing buttons to launch multiple samples or cue points in sequence is not mixing to me.

I'd say save that for music production.

I am. I use a Kontrol S4, an X1, and an Akai MPD32.

I'll bring my S4 + Technics 1210MK5's to upscale events simply for the look, without the other two controllers - it's a very professional looking setup. But I'll be honest... I hardly touch the turntables
    Last edited by sss18734; 03-21-2012 at 05:11 PM.

i just did an all digital show not too long ago. It doesn't feel like djing. I do like how i can instantly restart a song with the push of a button, makes for some great mixing and flawless sets, but it.is.not.djing. to me. it feels like playing with a toy.
    2 x Technics 1200 M3D, Allen & Heath Xone:22, Akai LPD8, Audio 10, TSP2, Kontrol S4, Maschine, Macbook Pro MD314LL
    My Soundcoud | Battle Record:1 Win 1 Loss

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    I am. I use a Kontrol S4, an X1, and an Akai MPD32.

I'll bring my S4 + Technics 1210MK5's to upscale events simply for the look, without the other two controllers - it's a very professional looking setup. But I'll be honest... I hardly touch the turntables
    I think you're confusing "controllerism" with "using controllers."

If you're not, then I'm wondering what sort of upscale events would want/allow such a thing. It really has no place in a club. Even Ean Golden admits that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    I think you're confusing "controllerism" with "using controllers."

If you're not, then I'm wondering what sort of upscale events would want/allow such a thing. It really has no place in a club. Even Ean Golden admits that.
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. By "upscale," I'm referring to weddings, where appearance is more important than mixing. I do little other than beatmatch / cue point stutters at those.

If you define "controllerism" as something on Ean's level, then I guess I just "use controllers." I'm certainly nowhere near that.
    Last edited by sss18734; 03-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.

If you define "controllerism" as something on Ean's level
    Yeah, that's controllerism.

The difference between mixing and turntablism is a nice analogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    Yeah, that's controllerism.

The difference between mixing and turntablism is a nice analogue.
    Yes, I see what you mean. But there are different levels of these that can be incorporated into a mix. Crazy routines like Ean's and the performances at DMC championships don't have a place in a club, but toned-down versions of those techniques can bring a mix to a whole new level instead of just "beatmatch + fade out."

You can cue point juggle / scratch / use effects creatively without being obnoxious. That's still a type of turntablism/controllerism - but it's not an all out button-mashing, knob turning, platter spinning frenzy.
    Last edited by sss18734; 03-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Yes, I see what you mean. But there are different levels of these that can be incorporated into a mix. Crazy routines like Ean's and the performances at DMC championships don't have a place in a club, but toned-down versions of those techniques can bring a mix to a whole new level instead of just "beatmatch + fade out."

You can cue point juggle / scratch / use effects creatively without being obnoxious. That's still a type of turntablism/controllerism - but it's not an all out button-mashing, knob turning, platter spinning frenzy.
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned turntablism. People can throw a baby scratch into a set, but that doesn't make it turntablism. Just like cue point juggling isn't necessarily controllerism. Sure, it's an aspect, but I just wanted to clarify what "controllerism" in this instance refers to. We're basically agreeing.

Ill do it but only at home for fun C: I have my 3 KP3's mapped as decks to Traktor with my Zero 4 and an APC40 and just make up random routines and such for shits and giggles or attempt longer set's like this aswell, It never leaves the bedroom though, Just something i like to do for fun allot.