Thread: Effects, drum padding and beat rolling...???

Effects, drum padding and beat rolling...???

Is there definitely a time and place for effects, drum padding and beat rolling?

There are many times where I will see a DJ use effects/beat rolls or drum pads "too much" and it starts to annoy me because to me it messes up the track and to me feels like the DJ is just doing it to show off or get attention. And than...there are other times where I wished the DJ would of thrown a effect or beat roll "here and there" to make the track more "lively" and "pop".

I do believe there is a time and place for it and if you know how to use it properly. I believe too much and it could be seen as "over the top"/annoying/bad...too little and it could be seen as not enough/inadequate and something to be left desired maybe.

On a side note...I originally started DJ'ing because of a general interest in hip hop/rap music. I watch a lot of DMC comp and youtube vids of popular scratch type DJ's and they use a lot of effects/rolls/drum padding. On the other hand...I also got into EDM/house music over the years and those DJ's seem to not use effects/rolls/drum padding as much and its more about mixing really well.

So I am somewhat at a lost and on the fence about whether to learn effects/rolls/drum padding. Just like anything in life...its all about "Balance" right...??? I guess it depends on what kind of music you like to hear/play, what kind of locale/venue/club you play and what kind of DJ you want to be or emulate.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. Not intended to be that way.

Best thing is to find what You like ,then finesse that - so hopefully you get it right most of the time and is not annoying to others.
    This could be no FX of mixing even- or ,in my case, 6 FX and 3 dex - all at once (if I can).
    We're goin'a get it wrong sometimes - its about minimalising that, through practice and awareness.

Thread date: 08-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Member Last Activity 08-02-2017 02:17 AM

Once more: please check thread dates before posting. That's 3 times now. Closed.