Thread: Beatmatching in Traktor Question

Beatmatching in Traktor Question

I am trying to get beatmatching down, but I tend to mix songs that are generally far away in bpm, so I have my tempo range at 35% (meaning that my tempo fader has a wide range and not very small increments).

Because it is almost impossible to get 2 tracks perfectly synced in bpm this way, I was wondering if it was cheating to have tempo sync on and then to get the two tracks in sync using the jog wheel?

I'm curious as to why you're beatmatching songs that are super far apart BPM wise. Couldn't you just use another track in the middle of the 2 existing tracks to bridge the gap?

It is not cheating to use sync. The way I do it in Traktor is to sync both tracks to a beat loop and have that make the transition though. You need to have suitable heads and tails on your incoming and outgoing tracks. I do that in prep work here at home.

Sync is not a bad word. But using it effectively requires thinking differently.

I don't make a habit of swinging back and forth between 100 and 128 all night, but as a working club DJ there are times when the floor dictates that drastic measures must be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
    I'm curious as to why you're beatmatching songs that are super far apart BPM wise. Couldn't you just use another track in the middle of the 2 existing tracks to bridge the gap?
    Raising a hip hop/trap track from ~100 bpm up to a house track at 128bpm sounds so energetic and great (well at least the tracks im using at the moment). Plus, I am not too much into deep and tech, so I have a relatively small number of tracks in the 113-124 bpm range.

I see. The easiest way to do it then is to match the tempo of the track you wanna mix in to the track that is playing, then use your pitch fader to slowly increase the BPM until the chorus/drop. Not sure if I explained that well or not

FYI you're changing the pitch on the track you're mixing in