21. You may not vote on this poll
  • De La Soul

10 47.62%
  • A Tribe Called Quest

11 52.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: de la vs tribe. Let's do this.

de la vs tribe. Let's do this.

Cast your vote and make your case! You choose your own criteria for greatness.
    Last edited by brawny; 03-21-2012 at 07:06 PM.

voted de la my reason posdnous.

I've always been a huge De la head even though I've bought more singles from Tribe. Love 'em both, but De la gets my vote.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

I love both groups...But 3ft High and Rising is the reason why I went out and bought a pair of Turntables!

Pos lyrically is genius and Dave's lyrics make you think more then the avg crossword puzzle. Mase just complete the 3 and has energy of his own. Needless to say De La is my most favorite group ever! They're probably the only hip hop group I can think of that have been in the game for more the 20 years and never broke up, oh and they're still making records!
    www.djshocase.com

I have to roll with Tribe. I respect the hell out of De La and they are still as innovative as ever. But I've listened to People's instinctive, Low End Theory, and Midnight on repeat for many many years and can't say the same for three De La joints. But I did rock the shit out of Buhloone Mindstate!

Tribe had the vibe. gotta roll with TCQ

I went tribe, just more stylee I guess even though i don't think one is the clear cut choice.

I 'm going to have my cake and eat it to though

Click here for mobile viewing.

Nice Nies One!

I asked because I realized I just changed camps. I saw the Tribe documentary, and there's a scene near the end where they ask Pos and Dave at Rock the Bells 2010 if Tribe is done, after all the drama of their reunion tour. Dave says bluntly "I hope so" and Pos just nods kind of like "he said what we're all thinking."

I mean Plug 2 says it on the Grind Date:- "they got annoyed but we got ahead and we got along." Fact is, De La has been building in the like 15 years since Tribe broke up. I love their late period stuff- the Grind Date, Are You In, Return of DST, and hopefully a dope new album this year. I just think they've built a body of work that is deeper and holds up better. Tribe is more universal, and make no mistake one of the best to ever do it, but De La has steady put in work and I can't ignore that.

And like y'all said- the lyrics and delivery of the two MCs is perfect.

I'm just kind of surprised that any group would ever supersede Tribe for me. I remember in djf 1.0 i was holding it down for tribe and those three perfect albums. But in the time since De La has been in my headphones a lot and Tribe hasn't.

Good idea brawny on fast forwarding to the two best crews, we woulda got here eventually I think.

I voted for De-La based on output and longevity and the fact they don't want to kill each other.
    My Old School Mixtape - Modern Funk Selections
    "Hit the ground burning and woke up frostbit" - Rakim

Cratedigging Co-Op OP OP Blog

Tribe is super dope, but I'm goin with De La.