Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A time and a place

Banned

A time and a place

In terms of music, if you could have been born at a particular time and in a particular place, when/where would it be? I might have started a thread like this before, but if I did, I can't remember (I'm old - feck off! ).

I was born in 1970. As hip-hop came to be my main musical love, I think that was a pretty good time to be born so I don't think I'd change that. If I did, I'd maybe go back a few years, but 10 at the most.

As for a place, I was born in central England. While hip-hop/electro started to become popular here in the early 80s, that wasn't represented on the radio/TV and in the clubs. Not to a great degree at that early stage anyway. In London there was stuff going on, but here - feck all. So, I'd have loved to have been born in New York where that scene was vibrant and there was loads going on.

What about you nob jockeys?

Musically, I was fortunate to walk into a record store with a "Soul" section. Yes, Soul. I was born in 1971, grew up in the bay area, and wouldn't change a thing.

whatever time and place that would allow me to boogie w/ Rosie on Sooooooouuuuuuuulllll Train!

I guess for me it would be to have been born in 70 in London so I could be part of the Acid House movement and follow it through into modern dance music.

I can't complain with what I have had, I grew up in a town with the best live music venue for rock artists in the country (Nottingham, Rock City) during the time of grunge. However, this meant that dance music passed me by over this time. I wouldn't change it for a thing, and later in my life I had the opportunity to work in the music industry on all styles. I really made my own luck. Maybe its a good thing I didn't get into dance DJing so early, cos it directly led to me settling down.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

i was born in the 70's but i think i'd have prefered to be born in the mid 90's so i could enjoy all thats being made now and fuck you i can do what i want anyway and your music is shit.

but in all seriousness, 10 years earlier for me, so i could have experienced the 80's a bit more than i did, i remember most of it well and enjoyed the music a lot growing up, but 10 years older I could have gone to the clubs and enjoyed the scenes as well. As for where? I think the midlands was not a bad place to be in the 80's overall, lots of bands originated round here,
    Last edited by Marc S; 07-26-2014 at 03:52 AM.

Love so much music from the 40's to current. I was born in 1961, so my parents listened to 1950's rock, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Goerge Jones etc. I loved the rock of the late 60's and 70's, but my favorite has to be Soul, Funk and Disco of the 70's.

I could not take the Heavy Metal of the 1980's or the current rock. Hated 99% of all the Rap I ever heard.

My daughter just turned 20 and is going to college to be a radio DJ, she knows the Country of the last 10 years like the back of her hand, but she loves a lot of dance music. Last week I broke out my old Parlimant LP (Mothership Connection). I played it through my studio set up EV-CP4000 amp, EV-DCONE DSP, pair of EV-ZX1 tops and a single EV-TX1181 (18" sub). Needless to say it is clear and loud, with lots of low end. She laughed and grinned the entire album. She said dad that sounds like a real jam session where everyone plays what they want to play and sing anything they think up, she actually loved it due to all the sounds.

I love the era I was born and the music, if I had a second choice it would definetly be the 50's and 60's, dawn of rock and roll, the big band era was still popular, the rat pack started up, and black jazz/club was making some great sound (horns baby horns, probably why I love Chicago, KC and Earth Wind and Fire).

Could ramble on, but great thread Sigma!!

It's better if I don't think about it.
    It's not so bad right now for me at least.
    Damn, have to spread some rep...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc S View Post
    i was born in the 70's but i think i'd have prefered to be born in the mid 90's so i could enjoy all thats being made now and fuck you i can do what i want anyway and your music is shit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller95 View Post
    You're the guy who's only ever eaten McDonald's food saying "I'd choose McDonald's!" cos it's all you know.