Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Pioneer Turntables PLX-1000

Quote Originally Posted by karcevgo View Post
    Though you accept that Corvette is better )
    They both suck pretty hard.
    Gas mileage = horrible
    Safety = pretty bad
    Trunk space = not very good
    Front wheel drive = nope
    Insurance = high priced
    Rear seating leg room & head room = probably not very roomy
    4 door option = probably only available in 2 door

There's nothing appealing at all between either car. If I was forced to drive one of the two, it would be a Mustang because:
    Some years it was available with a 4 cylinder. (That reason alone makes Mustang the better choice.)
    Mustang probably does better in crash tests.
    Mustang probably has more (usable) trunk space.
    Insurance cost is probably lower on a Mustang.
    With the exception of 1953 - 1962, the Corvette's body style is always a LOT uglier than the Mustang's body style. (The Mustang was introduced in 1964.)

Off hand the only thing I can think of that I like about the Corvette over the Mustang, is that it's not a Ford.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 10-31-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Well.. if we're talking cars.. The 'vette had more consistently great styling over the years. So if I had to pick a car without picking the year, I'd take the 'vette. The Mustang had some great years and some crappier ones. If I could be sure I'd get a 1971 Mach 1, then sure I'd take the Mustang! But if I couldn't pick the year, no way...

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I'd get a 1971 Mach 1,
    When we were in high school, my best friend drove one of those. (I drove a 1970 Chevelle SS 454.)

nevermind.

Re the turntables, it's pointless to argue because the Technics is a classic and has a lot of history, so you can't really compare it based on features or whatever. The Pioneer is probably a fine substitute for the Technics (only time will tell).. but you'll still have people for whom nothing can replace the Technics.. it is just the way it is with classics.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Re the turntables, it's pointless to argue because the Technics is a classic and has a lot of history, so you can't really compare it based on features or whatever. The Pioneer is probably a fine substitute for the Technics (only time will tell).. but you'll still have people for whom nothing can replace the Technics.. it is just the way it is with classics.
    So what advice would you give to people buying TTs for the first time? Go for a used pair of Techs (factoring in the price) or go for a new pair of super OEM?
    AT-LP1240-USB x2 / Taruya TW01-M / A&H Xone:92 Rotary / Pioneer DJM-T1
    AIAIAI TMA-1 / Master Sounds Turntable Weight x2 / Vinyl / Equator Audio D5

Quote Originally Posted by drunkfoundation View Post
    So what advice would you give to people buying TTs for the first time? Go for a used pair of Techs (factoring in the price) or go for a new pair of super OEM?
    The pros & cons of new or used are just like buying any other item. Be it a car, a motorcycle, a stereo, a washing machine, a TV, a lawn mower, or DJing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    The pros & cons of new or used are just like buying any other item. Be it a car, a motorcycle, a stereo, a washing machine, a TV, a lawn mower, or DJing equipment.
    Ok, how about comparing a brand new super OEM (~ $364 for one) to a refurbished "like new" custom-designed Technics (~ $650 to $1600 for one)?

Are Technics worth the disparity?
    AT-LP1240-USB x2 / Taruya TW01-M / A&H Xone:92 Rotary / Pioneer DJM-T1
    AIAIAI TMA-1 / Master Sounds Turntable Weight x2 / Vinyl / Equator Audio D5

You can argue which is better all day long between the Super OEM or the Technics for DJing, but the Technics still beat the newer turntables if you are looking for an audiophile turntable. The 1200's have much lower wow and flutter compared to the newer copies. They simply have a much better bearing, and there are after market bearings that you can install that are even better than the stock ones. There are tons of mods you can do to a 1200 that greatly improve the sound quality, that is why audiophiles are buying them up. Does it make a difference to the average DJ, probably not, but the 1200's will have a better resale value, for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkfoundation View Post
    Ok, how about comparing a brand new super OEM (~ $364 for one) to a refurbished "like new" custom-designed Technics (~ $650 to $1600 for one)?

Are Technics worth the disparity?
    For a LOT of people, yes.
    A lot of people are also willing to pay quite a bit higher for Beats, Bose, Bang & Olufsen, Monster, Gucci, Prada, Omega, Rolex, Armani, & Montblanc.