Thread: Where My Chicago DJ's At?!

Arrow Where My Chicago DJ's At?!

Hello DJForum'ers!

I am currently living in toronto, but there's a possibility for me to move to Chicago in September and I am seriously considering this. Now, in terms of DJ'ing, this could (or not) be a serious blow to my career... Why do I say that? I currently have 3 - 4 gigs weekly at somewhat known Toronto Bar & clubs.

Although I am aware that I would have to start from the bottom up in Chicago, that doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't be able to make it. I would most likely be living close to the loop downtown...

Do any of you have any recommendations about the scene in Chicago? any opinions?

Are there any famous/re-known production schools there?
    www.djtruewind.com / facebook.com/djtruewind / souncloud.com/dj-truewind.
    Follow me or like me, and I will return the favour! (Just send me a message) hehehe!

Hey,

I've lived in the Chicago area for 18 years now and have been DJing for 7. I mostly DJ weddings, schools, etc., but I have done quite a few bars and clubs in the area too. With a bigger city means more competition. There are a lot of bars and restaurants that are always willing to give a DJ a try. Most of the hotspots already have their house DJ, but it's definitely worth it to try and get a set or 2 with a place to show them what you got.

As for music production, there are countless schools that focus on this. Many of the schools with a higher reputation are located in the Chicago Loop. But there are other ones located throughout the city as well. You just have to do your research.

What kind of music do you spin? Do you do other events besides bars and clubs?

Hope this helps a little!

Hey djnv!

I am somewhat of an open format DJ (House, EDM, Hip Hop, R&B, Top 40's, Reggae, Reggaeton, Latin Genres)... living in a multicultural city like Toronto it's imperative to have a variety of genres... Though I could say I "specialize" in Progressive House, Deep House, Tech House, Latin House, Circuit House & EDM. I have done other non Bar/Club events, but I personally don't believe it's for me as I really dislike setting up, tearing down, doing audio checks, etc...

Sigh.... So Much to think about and contemplate, so little time! hahaha
    Follow me or like me, and I will return the favour! (Just send me a message) hehehe!

Ah man, I wish I could give you better news!

I'm sure it's the same in Toronto, but here it is all about who you know. If you have an "in" at a big time bar or club, you can get a set. Local bars and clubs not on the radar, you have a pretty good shot of getting into...from time to time. If you're looking for downtown clubs, it seems like every DJ in the area is looking to get in. But these clubs usually bring outside, superstar DJs to their weekend lineups.

Why a move to Chicago if I may ask?

I've been here in Toronto for 5 years, but I feel like its time for me to move on... and to be honest, I really liked Chicago. It's a nice city, plus, it's the birth city of house!

Well, I may have some leverage as far as clubs go... Obviously I don't expect to get into huge ones, nah..... gotta be more realistic... Perhaps the fact that I've done a few "key" events and the fact that I'll probably do an EDM Festival in august might give me some leverage!

Well good luck to you! If you're ever in the city, let me know! I'll go and show some support to a fellow DJ!