Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think makes a DJ "Professional"?

What do you think makes a DJ "Professional"?

I didn't see this posted before, sorry if it's been covered. I've been reading a lot on the photography forums about what makes a professional photographer. The main criteria is if at least 75-100% of your income comes from photography, then you're considered a professional. By those lines, I'd be considered a professional because 100% of my income comes from photography/DJing. I'm curious as to what other people think makes a "Professional DJ".

Money. If you make money from it, you're a professional.

I don't think the 75-100% is a good measure though... I make roughly 30k per year (before taxes) from DJing but I have an extremely good day job so it's not the majority of my annual income... I'd still consider myself professional though.
    Last edited by NickJames; 06-27-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    www.nickjames.ca
    → Reddit: omers on /r/DJs and /r/Beatmatch

Agree with Nick, by definition, if you make money you are a professional.
    MIXCLOUD FACEBOOK MIXLR
    Vinyl ONLY Beatdown/Disco grooves

I think being "professional" also requires a certain mind-set, and requires true passion for the craft........... as well as the busine$$ $ide............... just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by djshawn View Post
    I think being "professional" also requires a certain mind-set, and requires true passion for the craft........... as well as the busine$$ $ide............... just my 2 cents
    I would think those go largely hand-in-hand... when you rely on your passion to put food on your table and roof over your head, then you better be dedicated to that passion.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Having a soundcloud, mixcloud, facebook and twitter page. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocie View Post
    Having a soundcloud, mixcloud, facebook and twitter page. Duh.
    And Pioneer gear.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Lots of things go into being a "professional", it is not necessarily a clear thing to define.

If money or equivalent is earned then that is main thing. Current society's obsession with money means that earning is the deciding factor.

Recently for example there are a lot of people stating they are "professional" photographers, "professional" artists or "professional" web designers.
    Joining a profession in the past took qualifications, or joining a trade organisation, as well as experience to backup the claim.
    However, increased access to the resources and tools required to perform tasks has made many people assume the roles or professionals.

Also people who are "unprofessional" by the present definitions are looked down upon. A lot of people who do a task well do so out of enjoyment and ability, and money is of little motivation.

If "professional" is correlated to skill, then money is not in the equation. If remuneration was based on skill, a lot of people would be out of a job, it is not how the market works.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

You are not a pro until you pull off a jesus pose

This one

Not this one
    "It's better to give than to receive. Especially advice. "
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    And Pioneer gear.

I don't don't have a 900 Nexus though...just a 909. Amateur status will haunt me forevaaaa.