Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: amp racks

amp racks

just wondering what's best for a basic amp rack set up for 2 subs and 2 full ranges

i assume an amp and crossover but what else would add to the quality of the sound ?

My simple Rack not the best gear in the world but it works well.
    www.youtube.com/661herreras ,check it im coming up.

does your rack have carpet?

Depends how advanced you are. Some people - especially in the US like to use power conditioners to keep a constant flow to their equipment so not to generate excess noise in their output. I hire out equipment to DJ's consisting of just a crossover, dual 31 band EQ and an optional compressor. The graphics EQ only really works well if you know how to use it. The 1 and 2RU graphics EQ's aren't very good in terms of being able to adjust between a 1dB increase and 6dB because the sliders are so damn tiny. Another option is a driverack/DSP. Sorta does everything in the one box, however they're somewhat fiddly and take a while to setup.

Don't bother with those Behringer Sonic Maximizers - 3D sound generation or any of that shit.

Also I know some people - especially DJ's often have a 19" rackmount 1 or 2RU mixer (live sound as opposed to say a DB2) instead of having an external one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Quote Originally Posted by Ntertainment View Post
    does your rack have carpet?
    Yes indeed.
    www.youtube.com/661herreras ,check it im coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by cheforee View Post
    just wondering what's best for a basic amp rack set up for 2 subs and 2 full ranges

i assume an amp and crossover but what else would add to the quality of the sound ?
    A decent entry level DSP, this will save you from starting out with a crossover, then having to invest in an eq, then investing in a compressor, limiter, then investing in this, that & the other. Just get a decent basic DSP to keep everything simple & clean, no need to have to get the more advanced more complexed DSP options available if you're not going to use all of the features but if you do then it could be something you can grow into in the future. See if you can find a deal on something like a BBE DS-24 or the like.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Yeah, usually something like:
    Graphic EQ
    2ch compressor/limiter
    Crossover
    Top amp
    Sub amp

Obviously this changes if you have a DSP, which throws the GEQ, comp/lim and crossover into the one rack space. Also changes if you are using more powerful amps and squeezing onto one amp, are bi-amping, are using powered gear (no amps in the rack in that case), and so on.

Vendor
    Mike Pyle
    www.audiopyle.com ~ Audio/Lighting Sales
    707-315-6204 ~ mike@audiopyle.com

what does the BBE DS-24 do exactly ? if i get this should i even bother getting an eq ?

and can i use the BBE DS-24 with my current crossover

thanx for all your suggestions this is great feedback
    Last edited by cheforee; 03-16-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheforee View Post
    what does the BBE DS-24 do exactly ? if i get this should i even bother getting an eq ?

and can i use the BBE DS-24 with my current crossover

thanx for all your suggestions this is great feedback
    http://www.bbesound.com/products/spe...ment/ds24.aspx
    You could use it with your crossover... You could set the DS24 to make your mixer flat at output, and use the GEQ to adjust for the modalities of a given venue or to add the smiley face curve favored by many DJ's
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.