Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker Rental

Wow I just saw what I wrote "but don't wouldn't".......nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    Yes, I'm sure you would and that they do. I definitely thought twice when I had to put a $2K down on a rental.
    Exactly, when I was starting out this wouldn't have been an option. The EV ZLX 12p would be the cheapest speaker in my inventory.

I would look at Yorkville they have a 2 year "EVEN IF YOU BREAK IT" warranty. http://www.yorkville.com/resources/warranty. After 2 years sell the speakers and buy some new stuff.

I would not carry a lot of variety. I would stick with a bunch of 2 way 12's of the same model and subs of the same model. Also look at renting mics and P.A. mixer for bands.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Quote Originally Posted by Will SwoO View Post
    Wow I just saw what I wrote "but don't wouldn't".......nice!
    I still don't know what you were trying to say.

Exactly, when I was starting out this wouldn't have been an option. The EV ZLX 12p would be the cheapest speaker in my inventory.
    Yeah, but dudes would tear up the ZLX's trying to get some decent volume out of them. Wouldn't some Yamaha DXR or DSR's be a better line to choose from? They have 7-year warranties. Also QSC 6-year stuff.

I would look at Yorkville they have a 2 year "EVEN IF YOU BREAK IT" warranty. http://www.yorkville.com/resources/warranty. After 2 years sell the speakers and buy some new stuff.
    This sounds like solid advice but it seems like that 2 years would creep up on you quick. Is this enough time to re-coup the initial investment costs from rentals + get decent re$ale and not take a hit.
    Last edited by GaFFLe; 06-27-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Quote Originally Posted by GaFFLe View Post

Yeah, but dudes would tear up the ZLX's trying to get some decent volume out of them. Wouldn't some Yamaha DXR or DSR's be a better line to choose from? They have 7-year warranties. Also QSC 6-year stuff.

This sounds like solid advice but it seems like that 2 years would creep up on you quick. Is this enough time to re-coup the initial investment costs from rentals + get decent re$ale and not take a hit.
    My thought was to provide options for smaller parties

I will rent subs from you if prices are reasonable...one guy around here wanted to charge rental $200 for a black carpeted dj booth and $450 for kw181..smh

If I could rent some subs for $50-125 that would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I would literally throw everyone that's under 18 under a bus.

If you were here by me, I'd rent you a KV2 EX2.2 sub for $ 90 a week.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Now that's what I'm talking about Bill!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I would literally throw everyone that's under 18 under a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by BillESC View Post
    If you were here by me, I'd rent you a KV2 EX2.2 sub for $ 90 a week.
    Around here that would be $90 for the day

Do you regularly rent gear Bill? If so whats your rental process?

Quote Originally Posted by Will SwoO View Post
    The EV ZLX 12p would be the cheapest speaker in my inventory.
    I rent equipment and I have those EVs in my inventory. My business is delivery only though in the local area.. which is a major city, so I am the only one handling and setting up the equipment in most cases. There are other rental houses in the city that do dry hires and they all have a fleet of Mackie SRM450s or similar which is pretty comparable to the EV ZLX, and while some of them have bigger more powerful speakers too for the most part they rarely go out while the lesser boxes are in constant rotation. The thing you will notice immediately is that all of this rental equipment looks like it has been towed up and down the street behind a pickup truck... just beat all to hell, so it's not exactly something you would want to use in a nice clean wedding reception. But that's what you get with dry hires, people throw the gear around.. let it sit outdoors in a dusty environment.. you name it they don't care because it's not their equipment and as long as it comes back functional you don't get dinged with repair costs. I simply can not afford to have that happen to my equipment, most of my rentals are for weddings and other types of indoor events where you want the gear to look good, and Id like to be able to get a decent resale value on the stuff when I do decide to upgrade or renew it, people will not pay top dollar for something that looks beat. You will also find that taking credit cards costs you money so you have to increase your rates to cover it, I may do this eventually but so far I have not really needed it, I have repeat customers(DJs) that now pay me electronically which is great. So when it comes to gear to rent you want the cheapest thing that will do the job and be reliable, if it also looks good and is light weight like these new EVs then even better, this equipment will pay for itself quickest which means it will start making you money quicker and that is the whole point isn't it? From my experience 2-4 ZLX and up to 2 subs will handle an event of a couple hundred or so, anything bigger than that and you may as well bring in passive speakers and amps because again they're more cost effective than premium powered speakers, or that's my opinion anyway.
    Last edited by conanski; 06-30-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com