Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Questions Thread!

Hybrid View

I have no problem re-using artists in a mix…up to a point. Then again, one of the reasons I don't spin downtempo and trip hop is that I'd just want to play Portishead and Massive Attack all the time. But when it comes to music I actually DJ, there aren't that many artists that release enough so that it's a problem.

And I don't listen to Albums. That might help. If a house/techno/breaks/etc. artist puts out an album and isn't Daft Punk, Orbital, or Underworld, I just skip the entire thing when I'm shopping for tracks. Which is about the opposite for everything else, because for the music I listen to outside of DJing (Blues, Country, Hip Hop, Industrial) I just about only listen to albums.

And I'm insanely tired…and thirsty…in the "I want to be drunk right now" kind of way.

Hello

Can anyone help please Ive just got discover lON DISCOVERY DJ pro silver one. Ive just set it up works on virtual dj on my laptop with windows 7, I cant seem to get the decks to work though!!! The lights are on the decks can control the volume with the master volume but cant use it any other way. Any help would be much appreciated!!!! I also got the 20 days free trail and accidentally reset back to factory settings so the menu choice Ive got is limited!!

Thanks

hi.. i got a simple question that i just dont understand. no matter how much i google....

what the hell is cuts?
    what the hell is chops?

im not sure if there is a different in the different music genres, but in hiphop i see these words all the time. And i just cant figure out the true meaning of them.
    If anyone could explain like im a 5- year old i would be very thankful.
    If u got other words related u wanna add and explain, that would be even better!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jalipur View Post
    hi.. i got a simple question that i just dont understand. no matter how much i google....

what the hell is cuts?
    what the hell is chops?

im not sure if there is a different in the different music genres, but in hiphop i see these words all the time. And i just cant figure out the true meaning of them.
    If anyone could explain like im a 5- year old i would be very thankful.
    If u got other words related u wanna add and explain, that would be even better!
    Both of those words can mean a few different things, but in hip-hop, "cuts" usually refers to scratching. So if someone says "that guy's cuts are sick" they mean he's great at scratching.

"Chops" is often used as a general word for skill/ability when it comes to musicianship. It used to be a word that was used to describe particularly skilled guitarists and sometimes players of other more traditional instruments, but now it's kind of used generally.

You might see people using these words in other contexts, but without a specific example it's hard to say what they mean. I'd say the definitions I've given are the most commonly used though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Both of those words can mean a few different things, but in hip-hop, "cuts" usually refers to scratching. So if someone says "that guy's cuts are sick" they mean he's great at scratching.

"Chops" is often used as a general word for skill/ability when it comes to musicianship. It used to be a word that was used to describe particularly skilled guitarists and sometimes players of other more traditional instruments, but now it's kind of used generally.

You might see people using these words in other contexts, but without a specific example it's hard to say what they mean. I'd say the definitions I've given are the most commonly used though.
    Thanks for clearing that up sigma

New to djing

I have a question regarding software purchasing, I would like to find the kind of software which has a lot to offer in terms of built in instruments/plugins/sounds/samples/etc, and tools which allow me to tweak, and mix, and record, etc. I'm new to djing but I would like to get started on producing my own music, and I'm just using my laptop to start, and later I will be purchasing gear such as keyboards, amps, speakers, etc, etc. But just looking for the right software for producing my own, I have looked a couple; abelton live 8, cakewalk sonarX2 producer, reason, Fruityloops. http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/12818/#Reviews-tab. Which of these would be the best? or even close to best as I want to spend some money but not a bazillion dollars or anything like that. The kind of music I would like to start producing, is probably more EDM, house, electro-house, and just basic techno stuff, beats + bass + good sound. EXamples: deadmau5, alesso, avicii, hardwell, tiesto, etc.Thanks!
    Last edited by LeaPerrins; 01-08-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaPerrins View Post
    I have a question regarding software purchasing, I would like to find the kind of software which has a lot to offer in terms of built in instruments/plugins/sounds/samples/etc, and tools which allow me to tweak, and mix, and record, etc. I'm new to djing but I would like to get started on producing my own music, and I'm just using my laptop to start, and later I will be purchasing gear such as keyboards, amps, speakers, etc, etc. But just looking for the right software for producing my own, I have looked a couple; abelton live 8, cakewalk sonarX2 producer, reason, Fruityloops. http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/12818/#Reviews-tab. Which of these would be the best? or even close to best as I want to spend some money but not a bazillion dollars or anything like that. The kind of music I would like to start producing, is probably more EDM, house, electro-house, and just basic techno stuff, beats + bass + good sound. EXamples: deadmau5, alesso, avicii, hardwell, tiesto, etc.Thanks!
    Ableton Live imho - Can be used for DJing or to make great productions. Not too hard to get your head around and has stupid amounts of plugins, compatibility etc.

Logic and reason are probably the main contenders, I use PC so Logic was out of the question. Made my choice quite easy really and i'm happy with it.

Thank you! I shall look into it. Just downloaded the demo.
    I suppose there are tutorials I could probably find.

So, I found this on musiciansfriend.com: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ton-edm-bundle which is basically a bundle of software geared towards my desired music production choice. I'm wondering, is it worth it to buy this or to just purchase ableton suite. The bundle includes the full version of Ableton live amongst a vast amount of extra software, and a most likely non-expensive controller. Also, are there cheaper stores online/in canada which may have some products I am looking for which is both music production software, and DJ controllers like NI Traktor.

So, I am wondering I just purchased ableton live amongst a whole bunch of other edm software, what type of midi controller should I purchase for it. I understand I probably want something with at least 49 keys.