Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Small Questions Thread!

Hey guys, quick question regarding the vinyls.

Im new to the turntables life, and on one hand, I've been told vinyls are extremely delicate and get damaged super quickly if you hold them around the "groove" part - so the part on which the needle plays. On the other hand, I see everybody scratching (so, directly placing their palms and fingers) directly on these parts aswell. I have the Traktor Soundcode Vinyls, and am worried that I could damage them if I scratch excessively. So which is it?

Is it okay to scratch over this part of the vinyl aswell (if done with care ofcourse)? Also, how often should I be replacing the needle and the vinyls? I assume the vinyl will wear out with time, and so will the needle. Do I replace them before every gig? Do I replace them monthly? Yearly?

Thanks a lot for all your help - it's much appreciated.

Regards,
    Tgun

Quote Originally Posted by tgun750 View Post
    Hey guys, quick question regarding the vinyls.

Im new to the turntables life, and on one hand, I've been told vinyls are extremely delicate and get damaged super quickly if you hold them around the "groove" part - so the part on which the needle plays. On the other hand, I see everybody scratching (so, directly placing their palms and fingers) directly on these parts aswell. I have the Traktor Soundcode Vinyls, and am worried that I could damage them if I scratch excessively. So which is it?

Is it okay to scratch over this part of the vinyl aswell (if done with care ofcourse)? Also, how often should I be replacing the needle and the vinyls? I assume the vinyl will wear out with time, and so will the needle. Do I replace them before every gig? Do I replace them monthly? Yearly?

Thanks a lot for all your help - it's much appreciated.

Regards,
    Tgun
    Do records get damaged if you touch them?
    Yeeeesssss a little bit.

Do records get damaged if you play them?
    You are scraping a diamond onto them, so yes. Lets not even talk about scratching that needle back and forth!

If you were a mad audiophile who loves the sound of vinyl, then you probably never touch the record without wearing special gloves and clean each record with a 10000€ machine before you play it.

But DJs are generally not that type of person.

You probably realise that vinyl is not perfect sounding and degrades over time anyway. So there is no need to worry about touching it for scratching. Unless the record is a super rare test-press of the Beatles first recording session...

Also you talking about wearing out Traktor timecode records. These records are meant to be worn out and are relatively cheap. That is why you can buy replacement copies.

As for the needle, take a look at it under a magnifying glass. If it looks worn out, it generally is. Also you will notice the record skips a lot more when it is worn out.

There are no hard and fast rules. Vinyl is vinyl. Its a pretty rubbish medium that has been around for over 100 years. Use it, play it, enjoy it, and don't suffer anxiety over it.
    Last edited by pete; 11-03-2020 at 06:26 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

And technically vinyl is the most durable recorded source there is. Magnetic recordings and digital recordings fade over time and eventually disappear. A 100-year-old record that has never been played and was stored properly will sound as good today as it did 100 years ago.

On the other hand, CDs are holding up a lot better than expected. I remember when they first came out, audio magazines said CD recordings would be unlistenable after about 20 years.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post

On the other hand, CDs are holding up a lot better than expected. I remember when they first came out, audio magazines said CD recordings would be unlistenable after about 20 years.
    Some of them can be a problem. I remember some brands of CDs that would degrade over time. I have seen cases of the plastic becoming porous and so losing the data, or the metallic layer becoming oxidised and unable to be anywhere near readable.

As a computer salesman some time ago, we had repeat problems with a CDR/CDRW brand called TraxData. The CDs were useless within 6 months, and the brand quickly had a the worst reputation ever seen regarding recordable media. Out of a box of 10, you would be likely to get 7 or 8 defects.

We ended up with a 6 foot by 6 foot pile of stuff nobody would buy, and we knew would be perished stock quickly enough.

Hi everybody!
    Can somebody tell me please what effects are easiest to use for newbie deejays?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Hi everybody!
    what kind of software/hardware r u using

Traktor Pro 3 with Kontrol S8

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Hi everybody!

The thing is, nobody can read the manual for you and decide what is easiest. https://www.native-instruments.com/f...al_English.pdf

I have some question too.I need program or website to make some oldschool techno tracks but not special one but something for absolutely retards.I dont have nerves to learn in Ableton,Traktor,FL Studio etc.(I tried) because Im dumb.I just wanna mix some beats and kicks and more what other talented people made before me.I found splice com but beats are good just for trap and pop there in my opinion and I cant upload any more tones.But need something like this so I hope you help me to make some tracks just for fun.