Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPad controller with external HDD support

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown DJ View Post
    You are just handycapping yourself with an Ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
    I agree you would be handcuffing yourself with a iPad at this point. You can run all the major programs on a Windows 8 tablet since they run on a standard windows desktop/laptop.
    Other than storage space (which isn't even a big issue - you'll never need more than 32GB for a single gig) I completely disagree with you guys. In my 2 years DJ'ing with my iPad I've never had it crash on me! That's with and without using a controller. I've had Serato crash on me twice in 6-7 months and Traktor many years ago. I think it's far more reliable using an iPad.

I'm tempted to get an ipad for visuals but it would also be nice to have a tiny DJ setup which I can always have with me if the situation arises.

The great thing about iPads is that they're built like tanks. You pay a premium for peace of mind and reliability.

The only reason I would suggest using an iPad is if you already have one and you don't have a laptop suitable for DJ'ing.

I had to use mine because I thought my old laptop would do just fine. I brought it to my first gig and it sucked. Serato crashed several times. We had to hook up a friend's iPhone and play off of YouTube.

TL;DR: If you have an iPad and no laptop, you'll save money by not having to pickup a laptop. It's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrew79 View Post
    Hey, I'm just getting back into mobile gigging. I'm curious about setting up my iPad with a controller and use of an external hard drive. I've look but can't seem to be able to without jailbreaking my iPad and I really don't want to do that. For my market here, being an iPad DJ would be "high tech" and new. There's mobile DJs here still using a 5 disk changer and getting good paying gigs AAANNNDD, people like them. Of course there are pc dj's there too but no one here does the iPad thing and I want to be the first. Any suggestions will help.
    Pioneer XDJ-R1, bought my iPad Air specifically for it.