View Poll Results: What type of DJ are you?

Voters
526. You may not vote on this poll
  • DVS or Software

160 30.42%
  • Strictly vinyl (collect and play records, time-code vinyl for DVS does not count)

44 8.37%
  • CDs only

28 5.32%
  • Vinyl & CDs

25 4.75%
  • Both CDs & DVS/Software

58 11.03%
  • DVS & Vinyl

90 17.11%
  • I play it all (Vinyl, CDs & DVS/Software)

121 23.00%
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of DJ are you? Strictly digital? Do you spin vinyl records?

Right now I primarily use Traktor but I have a cheap set of Numarks (Thanks Haus...) that I practice on. I bring USB/CDs to clubs and bars to play on their house setup if available, though.

Started vinyl in the late 90s, moved to CDJ about 2005, and now when I mix (which is rarely) I'm using Traktor with a Mixtrack. No, it's not as fun as either of the other two, but since I actually spin less and don't play out anymore I don't need them. Although I still have my Techs and vinyl. When the man-cave is done I'm going to get those set up again. I've been focusing more on production lately.

Started out with vinyl & now use DVS. I'm looking to add a midi controller or two to add to the setup. I love the feel of the vinyl but the controllers will add more creativity and allow control that regular vinyl wouldn't have.

I use 1200s + SSL at home.

For what it's worth, every event I've ever attended has had CDJs.

Sometimes people bring controllers, and the one and only pure vinyl DJ I know is sure to bring her TTs if she's playing, but there are ALWAYS CDJs.

In fact, one of the reasons I haven't tried playing out is that I've absolutely no experience on CDJs, and I want to be able to play on the gear I know will be there.

The retired kind. :-P
    This is my signature.

I prefer the tactility of vinyl, but was forced to switch to CDJ's in 07. After getting bored out of my mind with DJing, I switching to Serato in '09. I prefer only to spin on the vinyl interface and pretty much nothing else. Honestly, it separates the men from the boys. Flame away digital jockeys.

all of it, then stuff not being listed here...

im happy to say i have a setup now that integrates the whole shebang. and for special occasions i like to bring it all along to a gig.

The laptop and the denon mc6000 is the centre of my setup
    everything i have on CD o vinyl, i also have on the laptop.

but i also collect CDs and vinyl for many reasons

1. CD: truth be told, i alway hated CDs, but many good albums still come out first on CD then only to be foud later on in mp3 format.

2. vinyl: i play latin music and much of the great latin music of the past 50 years is still not available at all digitally , so by searching around you can actually get an old gem and make it a hit

many of the current day salsa hits in latin america are made by record collectors digging them up, start playing them in the clubs & stations, then it finally gets re released.

i use the denon 3700 cd decks for
    1. scratching
    2. DJing outside where i cannot see the laptop screen.
    3. guest djs

not to mention they work also with USB sticks, perhaps that shoud be anther option in the poll
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 02-05-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Vinyl only, because I like records and I love never having any money.

My last gig I was using CDs on CDJ-2000s. On faderwave I use CDs and Denon dns3500s. When I do mobile gigs I use traktor scratch duo which I won in a contest here (and am quite grateful for). My next gig I believe is also on CDJ-2000s.

CDJ-2000s are the nicest damn things I have ever used. :drool: