View Poll Results: What type of DJ are you?

Voters
526. You may not vote on this poll
  • DVS or Software

160 30.42%
  • Strictly vinyl (collect and play records, time-code vinyl for DVS does not count)

44 8.37%
  • CDs only

28 5.32%
  • Vinyl & CDs

25 4.75%
  • Both CDs & DVS/Software

58 11.03%
  • DVS & Vinyl

90 17.11%
  • I play it all (Vinyl, CDs & DVS/Software)

121 23.00%
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of DJ are you? Strictly digital? Do you spin vinyl records?

What type of DJ are you? Strictly digital? Do you spin vinyl records?

With more and more companies releasing midi capable equipment, we've reached the point where playing on CDs seems a bit outdated. Its been a while since I've seen a club dj booth without a laptop screen covering his or her face.

I myself have tried an DVS and midi setup but because you have to rely on a laptop to play the music, I'm reluctant to make that switch and give up my CDs. There are some DJs who still play records, convinced that nothing comes close to the feel and sound of vinyl. Actually, the very fact that you can still find places to buy newly released records speaks for itself, but we are definitely the minority.

With that said, cast your vote above so we can get an idea of who's using what.
    Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 01-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.

inb4 flame war

I used to play strictly vinyl, but my physical location changed and vinyl availability reduced and price went up. I switched to DVS, but still have my record collection and buy a few records here and there. I would prefer to be all vinyl still, but my DJing has improved since I went to DVS for a number of reasons; probably foremost the larger amount of tracks available for the same amount of money.

CD is digital. Just saying.

Right now used vinyl is a buyer's market. Recently, I have been buying records for less than comparable mp3s. However, for gigs, vinyl is not practical as digital media.

CD decks are old school controllers. CDs are a dead media, but as of now I still use them.
    Last edited by Hausgeist; 01-28-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hausgeist View Post
    CD is digital. Just saying.
    T'is true but for the sake of this poll, lets just assume a "digital" setup means playing your music off a laptop, running some program.

i'm all about progressing with technology, but i think everyone should at least the basics with TT's.

That makes 0 sense Rek. Digital is Digital and CDs are DIGITAL.

With that being said, i started with turntables, moved to CDJS, went in to Ableton for a while and caught tons of slack from fellow DJs and Forum members so I went back to Turntables and a DVS. I then realized using turntables with a DVS is basically using the turntables as glorified midi controllers. My turntables and all vinyl have been sold, ditched the CDJS and now use a few different midi controllers depending on the gig.

I think it is important for any working DJ to have a full understanding of how vinyl, cds, dvs's, and Midi controllers work.

Edited to avoid any confusion.

I voted for what I am currently, not what I am able to use.

MIDI currently